RadioBanter

-   -   Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1973-help-newbie-channel-master-9512-rotor-homebrew-controller.html)

K. Hastings June 25th 04 11:59 AM

Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ?

I'm fixing up an older Channel Master light-duty rotor to turn a small 2m
wooden quad I've built for my attic, but one of the plastic gears in the
control unit disintegrated in my hand during the rennovation. The rest of
the control unit is in rough shape too.

I'm thinking of building my own power supply/control unit for this rotor,
but I'm not clear on just how these 3-wire units actually control the rotor.
Any ideas? I can perhaps make my own simple PS, and figure out the
direction-setting power scheme, but getting feedback on the antenna position
to prevent over-turn cound be tricky.

Thanks to all who reply...

VE9XYZ Kevin

Crazy George June 25th 04 05:21 PM

Kevin:

Those 3 wire controllers depend on running a motor in the indicator at the
same speed as the rotator, so indicator accuracy is sometimes less than
perfect (snicker). Most light duty RatShack rotators use that approach.
The rotator itself is typically a split phase AC motor, a common and one
phase fed directly, the other through a phase shifting capacitor in the
controller. Swap the two phase leads for reverse direction. You may want
to consider buying or fabricating a replacement gear to get direction
readout. Or adding a separate direction indicating mechanism. Good luck!

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Tam/WB2TT June 26th 04 12:51 AM

"L G" wrote in message
Think it was 20V AC applied one way or the other.

"Crazy George" wrote in message
Kevin:

Those 3 wire controllers depend on running a motor in the indicator at

the
same speed as the rotator, so indicator accuracy is sometimes less

than...............

Are you sure about that? The Alliance and CDE rotators had an interrupter
switch in the remote unit that caused a solenoid in the control unit to
advance the indicator pointer. This pulsing took place every 10 or 15
degrees of antenna rotation. The pointer turned in whatever direction the
control knob had been turned.

Tam/WB2TT

Crazy George June 26th 04 04:16 AM

Tam:

I've held my tongue for quite a while over your inappropriate and unhelpful
answers, but you desperately need to learn to read the questions before
posing one of your answers. He clearly said 3 WIRE ROTATOR. The clickers
are 4 wire.

Tam/WB2TT June 26th 04 04:07 PM

"Crazy George" wrote in message
Tam:

I've held my tongue for quite a while over your inappropriate and

unhelpful
answers, but you desperately need to learn to read the questions before
posing one of your answers. He clearly said 3 WIRE ROTATOR. The clickers
are 4 wire.

--
Crazy George

George,
I did not say you were wrong. Just asking if you knew for a fact, or were
guessing. It could be done with 3 wires.

Tam