RadioBanter

-   -   Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/200747-relationship-between-antenna-efficiency-received-signal-strength.html)

[email protected] January 29th 14 02:09 AM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 7:40 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 5:10 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 2:25 PM, Jeff wrote:

Bur of course you won't/can't so I will expect more rude comments from
you.

Jeff

When you get the necessary background to understand how it works, then
we can discuss it intelligently.

But you even think a smith chart can't be used for antennas. So much
for your knowledge.

And also please point out exactly where I said a smith chart could be
used to show the efficiency of an antenna, or what goes on inside a
piece of coax. But you can't - trolls are good at twisting words and
coming up with unsubstantiated claims.

AS I expected more rude personal comments and no real response. It would
appear that anyone who disagrees with you is a troll. I think that you
have show yourself for what you are in this and other threads, and are
incapable of rational discussion. It is you who are the troll. I have
nothing more to say as you do not wish to justify your arguments.

Jeff

If you understood ANYTHING about Smith Charts, you would understand they
are the graphical representation of the results of mathematical
forumulae. And you obviously don't have the background to understand
the math, so any intelligent discussion is not possible.

Not quite; a Smith chart is a nomgraph of complex impedance usually
noralized to one.

The data could come from "mathematical forumulae" but usually comes
from measured data in which case the "mathematical forumulae" amounts
to normalizing the impedance to one.

From a Smith chart, one can obtain impedances, admittances, reflection
coefficients, scattering parameters, noise figure circles, constant gain
contours and regions for unconditional stability.

I KNOW what a Smith Chart is. But unlike you, I UNDERSTAND the math
behind it.

It's all about the math.

Actually a Smith chart is all about AVOIDING the math which was very
difficult and time consuming to do in the pre-computer days.

It's all based on the math. And if you understand the math, you can use
a Smith Chart much more effectively.

And it wasn't all THAT time consuming - we had to do it with a
slipstick, paper and pencil. No PC's (or even calculators) in those days.

It sure as hell WAS time consuming WITHOUT a Smith chart.

And of course the Smith chart is BASED on math, though you didn't need
to know the underlaying equations to use one.

WITH a Smith chart there was little to no math required, that is the
whole point of a Smith chart.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle January 29th 14 02:40 AM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 7:40 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 5:10 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 2:25 PM, Jeff wrote:

[...]

From a Smith chart, one can obtain impedances, admittances, reflection
[...]

No, a Smith Chart just gives an approximation for the forumlae involved.
You don't necessarily need the math to USE a Smith Chart. But you do
to UNDERSTAND it.

A huge difference - which you obviously don't understand, either.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

[email protected] January 29th 14 02:53 AM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 7:40 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 5:10 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 2:25 PM, Jeff wrote:

[...]

From a Smith chart, one can obtain impedances, admittances, reflection
[...]

Given care in gathering the data and plotting it, a Smith chart gives
answers more than accurate enough for almost all practical applicatons.

You don't necessarily need the math to USE a Smith Chart. But you do
to UNDERSTAND it.

One does NOT need to understand the underlying math to use a Smith
chart nor any math to get relevant answers from it. That was the
whole point of using a Smith chart.

A huge difference - which you obviously don't understand, either.

You sound like someone who's total exposure to Smith charts is a web
page overview.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle January 29th 14 03:29 AM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/28/2014 9:53 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 7:40 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 5:10 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 2:25 PM, Jeff wrote:

[...]

From a Smith chart, one can obtain impedances, admittances, reflection
[...]

You have no idea how a Smith Chart works, that plain. And you don't
understand it.

You don't need to know how a radio works to use it. But you do have to
understand it to design or fix it.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

[email protected] January 29th 14 04:23 AM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:53 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

[...]

It seems I understand it far better than you do, but then I actually
have used them as opposed to having just read a web page overview.

You don't need to know how a radio works to use it. But you do have to
understand it to design or fix it.

Finally you understand; you don't need to know the math to use and get
answers from a Smith chart but you do need to know the math to design
a Smith chart.

That was the whole point of a Smith chart; to remove the tedious math.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle January 29th 14 01:15 PM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/28/2014 11:23 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:53 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

[...]

The whole design of the Smith chart was to give an approximation of what
occurs. But you wouldn't know that from the web pages you read.

And I never said you had to know the math to USE the Smith Chart. I
said you had to know the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. But you
can't even understand that difference.

--
==================

[email protected] January 29th 14 04:00 PM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 11:23 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:53 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

[...]

The whole point of the Smith chart was to provide a tool to solve
practical problems in the real world. The problems solved by the Smith
chart do not need 10 decimal places of accuracy and the accuracy of a
Smith chart is on the same level as a slide rule, which was the standard
instrument for solving problems at the time the Smith chart was invented.

All your puffery about approximation is just nonsensee.

And I never said you had to know the math to USE the Smith Chart. I
said you had to know the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. But you
can't even understand that difference.

You only need to know the math to understand HOW the Smith chart works,
but not to use a Smith chart and get real world answers to real world
problems.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle January 29th 14 04:16 PM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/29/2014 11:00 AM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 11:23 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:53 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/28/2014 9:09 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

[...]

No, a slipstick in the hands of someone proficient in its use is much
more accurate than a Smith Chart.

All your puffery about approximation is just nonsensee.

You say that because you don't have the math to understand how a Smith
Chart works. Since you don't understand, no one else can, either.

ROFLMAO!

And I never said you had to know the math to USE the Smith Chart. I
said you had to know the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. But you
can't even understand that difference.

You only need to know the math to understand HOW the Smith chart works,
but not to use a Smith chart and get real world answers to real world
problems.

I NEVER said you needed to know the math to USE a Smith Chart. I said
you need the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. Which you obviously
don't, or you wouldn't be making such comments.

But then I expect nothing less from the troll.

--
==================

[email protected] January 29th 14 04:41 PM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:00 AM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

The whole design of the Smith chart was to give an approximation of what
occurs. But you wouldn't know that from the web pages you read.

The whole point of the Smith chart was to provide a tool to solve
practical problems in the real world. The problems solved by the Smith
chart do not need 10 decimal places of accuracy and the accuracy of a
Smith chart is on the same level as a slide rule, which was the standard
instrument for solving problems at the time the Smith chart was invented.

No, a slipstick in the hands of someone proficient in its use is much
more accurate than a Smith Chart.

Utter nonsense; a decent sized Smith chart with a sharp pencil is every
bit as accurate as a slide rule, and for the answers obtained, even more
accurate as a Smith chart does NOT lose digits in intermediate calculations.

All your puffery about approximation is just nonsensee.

You say that because you don't have the math to understand how a Smith
Chart works.

I say that because I have actually used Smith charts to solve real
world problems.

FYI once the HP65 came out, I abandoned Smith charts, Nyquist plots, and
a whole raft of other such aids for programs on the little tapes I wrote.

Since you don't understand, no one else can, either.

Just another babbling ad hominem from the guy who by declaration is never
wrong about anything.

ROFLMAO!

And I never said you had to know the math to USE the Smith Chart. I
said you had to know the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. But you
can't even understand that difference.

You only need to know the math to understand HOW the Smith chart works,
but not to use a Smith chart and get real world answers to real world
problems.

I NEVER said you needed to know the math to USE a Smith Chart. I said
you need the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. Which you obviously
don't, or you wouldn't be making such comments.

Nope, only if you mean understand how to design a Smith chart.

You need no math to read SWR from a Smith chart or to know what SWR is.

But then I expect nothing less from the troll.

I expect nothing more but babbling, high horse nonsense from the self
proclaimed master of everything.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle January 29th 14 05:32 PM

Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/29/2014 11:41 AM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/29/2014 11:00 AM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

The whole design of the Smith chart was to give an approximation of what
occurs. But you wouldn't know that from the web pages you read.

The whole point of the Smith chart was to provide a tool to solve
practical problems in the real world. The problems solved by the Smith
chart do not need 10 decimal places of accuracy and the accuracy of a
Smith chart is on the same level as a slide rule, which was the standard
instrument for solving problems at the time the Smith chart was invented.

No, a slipstick in the hands of someone proficient in its use is much
more accurate than a Smith Chart.

Utter nonsense; a decent sized Smith chart with a sharp pencil is every
bit as accurate as a slide rule, and for the answers obtained, even more
accurate as a Smith chart does NOT lose digits in intermediate calculations.

I see you never used a slipstick, either. It was a required course when
I was in college - and we had to be QUITE accurate.

All your puffery about approximation is just nonsensee.

You say that because you don't have the math to understand how a Smith
Chart works.

I say that because I have actually used Smith charts to solve real
world problems.

You say that because you don't have the math to understand how a Smith
Chart works.

FYI once the HP65 came out, I abandoned Smith charts, Nyquist plots, and
a whole raft of other such aids for programs on the little tapes I wrote.

Wow. Gee, I'm impressed! ROFLMAO!

Since you don't understand, no one else can, either.

Just another babbling ad hominem from the guy who by declaration is never
wrong about anything.

Just an acute observation about what you say.

ROFLMAO!

And I never said you had to know the math to USE the Smith Chart. I
said you had to know the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. But you
can't even understand that difference.

You only need to know the math to understand HOW the Smith chart works,
but not to use a Smith chart and get real world answers to real world
problems.

I NEVER said you needed to know the math to USE a Smith Chart. I said
you need the math to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. Which you obviously
don't, or you wouldn't be making such comments.

Nope, only if you mean understand how to design a Smith chart.

No, I mean to UNDERSTAND the Smith Chart. Anyone can be an appliance
operator.

You need no math to read SWR from a Smith chart or to know what SWR is.

I never said you couldn't USE it. But you obviously don't UNDERSTAND it.

But then I expect nothing less from the troll.

I expect nothing more but babbling, high horse nonsense from the self
proclaimed master of everything.

No, not master of anything. But I know a lot more than trolls like you do.

--