Old August 10th 03, 01:39 AM
Craig Buck

Default Need HF / Mobile Antenna Recommendation

Don't fool around with the OB. Who wants to get out of the car and switch
taps to change bands? Get the ATAS 120 from Yaesu. For VHF/UHF get a
separate mag mount antenna. The combination will keep you happy.
--
Radio K4ia
Craig "Buck"
"Jim" wrote in message
Hi. I just purchased an FT-100 mobile rig. I want to put it in my 2003
Nissan Xterra. I am thinking of two antennas. One for HF / 6 Meters and
the other for the VHF/UHF stuff. I'm trying to keep this as simple as
possible, and I'm looking for recommendations. Right now I'm looking at

the
Outbacker for HF/6. Anyone using that? Any other suggestions? Do you
recommend a mobile antenna tuner?
thanks
Jim KA1EUI

Old August 10th 03, 09:38 AM
Mark Turner

In article 4vgZa.11589$ug.4008@lakeread01, Craig Buck wrote:
Don't fool around with the OB. Who wants to get out of the car and switch
taps to change bands? Get the ATAS 120 from Yaesu. For VHF/UHF get a
separate mag mount antenna. The combination will keep you happy.

I'll second that. I have an ATAS120 for HF/6m and a dualband 2m 1/4 wave
/ 70cm 5/8 wave for VHF/UHF. I find that combination a good compromise
between performance and "neatness".

Cheers,

Mark.
Old August 10th 03, 03:25 PM
Jim

Thanks for the input. I live in the Boston MA area, and drive the highway
in and out of the city each day. I often park right along the ocean too,
and we're talking the frigid North Atlantic here! I've had times where it's
difficult to get into my vehicle from the ice that can build on it. I'm
concerned that the motor in the antenna might freeze up. Any thoughts on
that?
Thanks
Jim KA1EUI

Old August 10th 03, 03:49 PM
Mark Turner

In article IBsZa.113223$Ho3.12921@sccrnsc03, Jim wrote:
Thanks for the input. I live in the Boston MA area, and drive the highway
in and out of the city each day. I often park right along the ocean too,
and we're talking the frigid North Atlantic here! I've had times where it's
difficult to get into my vehicle from the ice that can build on it. I'm
concerned that the motor in the antenna might freeze up. Any thoughts on
that?

Apart from the obvious (and probably unhelpful) comment that you shouldn't
try to tune the ATAS120 while it is frozen, no sorry no thoughts.

Most of my mobile HFing is on 20m where I find that the ATAS120 seems to
have a wide enough bandwidth that I hardly ever need to retune unless
I change band away from 20m. So, it might still be practical if you
don't want to retune while conditions are cold enough that the motor
etc. might be frozen up. I've only been using mine about a month so I
have no idea what will happen in the winter months when it gets iced up.

Cheers,

Mark.