Old October 22nd 14, 11:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed.

Try this ...

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node94.html

This is one of a series of lectures by a prof at Texas Uni.

In fact, if you go right back to the home page of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching,
this leads to a most excellent revision of the necessary EM theories, and,
briefly
glancing thereto, the post grad stuff even exceeds my current interest and
knowledge.

I'm fairly sure now that this area is where I came across the governing
formula that I
alluded to recently in this NG when doing my own revision previously in
2005, although
the URLs and lecture node numbers have changed since then.

Old October 22nd 14, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 10/22/2014 5:13 AM, gareth wrote:
Try this ...

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node94.html

This is one of a series of lectures by a prof at Texas Uni.

In fact, if you go right back to the home page of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching,
this leads to a most excellent revision of the necessary EM theories, and,
briefly
glancing thereto, the post grad stuff even exceeds my current interest and
knowledge.

I'm fairly sure now that this area is where I came across the governing
formula that I
alluded to recently in this NG when doing my own revision previously in
2005, although
the URLs and lecture node numbers have changed since then.

Obviously, none of this is new. It states in the article that the short
antenna is inefficient due to the wire (ohmic) resistance swamping the
radiation resistance. Your first post on this subject did not include
wire resistance in your statement that short antennas are inefficient,
which is why people jumped on that statement.

If you include wire resistance, yes, a short dipole is less efficient
that a full-sized dipole (if you can manage to get the power into it,
which is a different problem). Note that a short antenna, properly
constructed with, say, 4-inch copper pipe will be just about as
efficient as one with #12 copper wire.

Try it, please. Make the measurements. Record what you get and let us
know. We are hungry for additional knowledge.

Old October 22nd 14, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"gareth" wrote in message ...

Try this ...

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node94.html

This is one of a series of lectures by a prof at Texas Uni.

In fact, if you go right back to the home page of
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching,
this leads to a most excellent revision of the necessary EM theories, and,
briefly
glancing thereto, the post grad stuff even exceeds my current interest and
knowledge.

I'm fairly sure now that this area is where I came across the governing
formula that I
alluded to recently in this NG when doing my own revision previously in
2005, although
the URLs and lecture node numbers have changed since then.

When I get time, I'll browse through the links.

However, back to your original assertion that your theory has short antennas
as being inefficient compared with longer antennas (I'm assuming you are
talking half wave dipoles and such).

If 10 watts is delivered to a short antenna, where does it go if it is not
radiated just as well as 10 watts delivered to a long antenna?

Old October 22nd 14, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message

If 10 watts is delivered to a short antenna, where does it go if it is not
radiated just as well as 10 watts delivered to a long antenna?

How are you going to deliver that 10 watts? By feeding with 100 Watts?

Old October 22nd 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 10/22/2014 10:05 AM, gareth wrote:
"Wayne" wrote in message

If 10 watts is delivered to a short antenna, where does it go if it is not
radiated just as well as 10 watts delivered to a long antenna?

How are you going to deliver that 10 watts? By feeding with 100 Watts?

Oops! Is that part of the problem? You never said matching was involved.
Please get your story straight.

Tell us your requirements. Using real wire? What diameter? What
material? What length? Is feeding the antenna part of the problem?

What the hell are you seeking?

Old October 22nd 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 10/22/2014 11:15 AM, John S wrote:

What the hell are you seeking?

Drama

--

Rick
Old October 22nd 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"gareth" wrote in message

I despair that those who are motivated to shout out childish remarks
continue to do so, even in the face of an informative post.

Old October 22nd 14, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

In message , rickman
writes
On 10/22/2014 11:15 AM, John S wrote:

What the hell are you seeking?

Drama

And, of course, confrontation.
--
Ian
Old October 22nd 14, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , rickman writes
On 10/22/2014 11:15 AM, John S wrote:

What the hell are you seeking?

Drama

And, of course, confrontation.

Untrue.

The confrontation is sought only by those who seek to respond
in a tendentious and abusive manner, such as John S and rickman
above.

Old October 22nd 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message ...
[...]

Dissipated as heat?
--
;-)
..

Short Antennae gareth Antenna 10 October 11th 14 02:19 AM
Fractal antennae? Sparky[_3_] Shortwave 10 February 17th 14 11:23 AM
Looking for help regarding satellie antennae [email protected] Antenna 8 September 1st 05 03:21 AM
Question on antennae JohnM CB 6 July 11th 05 09:19 PM
Homemade Antennae, help Steve Muir Antenna 6 April 12th 04 04:44 AM