RadioBanter

-   -   chain link fence (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2192-chain-link-fence.html)

Wedgew August 16th 04 05:36 PM

chain link fence

my back yard is fenced(102 ft by 35 ft. chain link woith dug in
posts every 7 or 8 ft
could this be used as a counterpoise or as a ground?
--
OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy

Seek not to confound me as I am dim-witted and slow of study.

Wedge KC2MGJ

Ian White, G3SEK August 16th 04 06:08 PM

Wedgew wrote:
my back yard is fenced(102 ft by 35 ft. chain link woith dug in posts
every 7 or 8 ft
could this be used as a counterpoise or as a ground?

Top Band enthusiasts often bond everything imaginable to their ground
system, so why not try it.

OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy
RiGhT NeXt to The Shft KEY?

The same genius who put the function keys along the top of the keyboard,
just out of reach when you're t7ping.

If the Caps Lock key bugs you as much as it bugs me, put some stiff foam
under the key-cap, so it won't go down unless you really mean it.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Steve Nosko August 16th 04 11:06 PM

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote in message
Wedgew wrote:
my back yard is fenced(102 ft by 35 ft. chain link woith dug in posts
every 7 or 8 ft
could this be used as a counterpoise or as a ground?

Top Band enthusiasts often bond everything imaginable to their ground
system, so why not try it.

I'd be very worried with all those poor connections at every link point.
Could be (could) be a really good noise source. It seems that any movement
would cause changes in the current path creating noise on the Rx AND _your_
Tx signal. I fought similar problems on mobile phone installations. The
Appollo pick up ships had similar problems from the chain deck railing
parts. Good luck.

OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy
RiGhT NeXt to The Shft KEY?

BUBut it _ain't_ a Caps LOCK key anymore, it's a CAPS INVERT key,
right? Nice idea, Ian, FOAM...

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

The same genius who put the function keys along the top of the keyboard,
just out of reach when you're t7ping.

Is that not t7p8ng ?

greg z August 23rd 04 08:07 PM

Hmmm Sounds good , Put up a 1wl loop for 80 meters (274ft+/-)?
up 20 to 40 feet,feed it with ladder line or window line (61ft) into a
balanced tuner and rock and roll. Should be able to cover the entire
US on 40 and 80meters with some rather Brutal lobes on 20m.
You be Jammin!!!

I get consistent 9+5, 9+10 reports on 40m out 500miles with this setup on
10watts!!!!!! YMMV
73
greg
WG8Z

------
my back yard is fenced(102 ft by 35 ft. chain link woith dug in
posts every 7 or 8 ft
could this be used as a counterpoise or as a ground?
--
OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy
RiGhT NeXt to The Shft KEY?

Seek not to confound me as I am dim-witted and slow of study.

Wedge KC2MGJ

______________________________________
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
WG8Z

Roger Halstead August 24th 04 01:09 AM

On 23 Aug 2004 19:07:34 GMT, ospam (greg z) wrote:

Hmmm Sounds good , Put up a 1wl loop for 80 meters (274ft+/-)?
up 20 to 40 feet,feed it with ladder line or window line (61ft) into a
balanced tuner and rock and roll. Should be able to cover the entire
US on 40 and 80meters with some rather Brutal lobes on 20m.
You be Jammin!!!

Careful with CL fence. It may work, but older fence may turn out to
be hundreds or thousands of tiny diodes at the points of contact where
the fence is woven..

When we had the repeater here I found a 10" piece of wire laying
against a guy wire created enough noise to drowned out a 50 watt
mobile less than 5 miles away.

I could do the same with a 10" screw driver by just sliding it up and
down the guy. The end of that guy was grounded' too.

OTOH you are rarely listening while transmitting on HF so the noise
probably wouldn't bother on receive (unless your neighbor is trying to
listen to the AM broadcast bandG)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com