RadioBanter

-   -   50 MHz and CB? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/221157-50-mhz-cb.html)

gareth October 16th 15 12:33 PM

50 MHz and CB?

I wonder if there is any experience out there about cutting down mobile
CB antennae (along with their base loading coils) to make a 50 MHz ground
plane?

Michael Black[_2_] October 16th 15 06:41 PM

50 MHz and CB?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015, gareth wrote:

I wonder if there is any experience out there about cutting down mobile
CB antennae (along with their base loading coils) to make a 50 MHz ground
plane?

Probably.

The time I bought a CB set, for five dollars, I took the swr/wattmeter
that came with it, but left the whip.

I seem to recall someone suggesting in QST years ago about using a CB whip
for 2metres, taking out the coil or something made it about the length for
a long whip.

The problem is the whip is intended for use on a car, the body of the car
supplying "the other half of the dipole". Using it standalone, you get
the radiator part fine, but is there an easy place to attached the ground
plane wires?

Michael

[email protected] October 16th 15 06:43 PM

50 MHz and CB?

gareth wrote:
I wonder if there is any experience out there about cutting down mobile
CB antennae (along with their base loading coils) to make a 50 MHz ground
plane?

As a full size, quarter wave vertical is only 1.5 meters tall at 50 Mhz,
there is no need for a loading coil.

--
Jim Pennino

Wayne October 16th 15 08:34 PM

50 MHz and CB?

"gareth" wrote in message ...

I wonder if there is any experience out there about cutting down mobile
CB antennae (along with their base loading coils) to make a 50 MHz ground
plane?

Sure. Just take the more or less 9 foot long CB whip, remove the mounting
stud on the end and cut the whip down to 50MHz length.
If you are lucky, there won't be much taper in the whip and it will snug
back into the stud. Use the same car mounting bracket.