RadioBanter

-   -   vertical ant construction tips (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2212-vertical-ant-construction-tips.html)

Angela & Gary August 19th 04 08:59 PM

vertical ant construction tips

I am planning to construct a vertical dipole array for 20m. The
electrical calculations are complete (with help from LB Cebik) and now
I'm looking for some advice on the physical construction. I'd like to
use Al tubing and find unfortunately that this is difficult to come by
locally. I will likely obtain this then from Texas Towers and therefore
the tubing lengths will be limited to 6 ft each. They do offer nesting
sizes so the real question is what diameter to utilize for the lower
most 6 ft segment (dipole being some 34 ft or so). Recalling the approx
dimensions of commercial vert antennas I've had in the past leads me to
believe that 1.25" or so would be sufficient. Comments/advice ?? I
would like to do this without guys if possible and plan on attaching the
lower-most segments to 4x4's. Thanks in advance all.

Gary

Hal Rosser August 19th 04 10:05 PM

I've used EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing) also called 'Thinwall conduit'
available from Lowes, etc electrical dept.
another (more expensive) option = copper tubing.
If you have an electrical supply nearby - then Aluminum Counduit may be a
good choice - it comes with threaded couplings.... which you should use
Penetrox on - by the way.
My 2 cents worth =
HEY ! what happened to the "Cents" key there's a "$" key - but no cents.

"Angela & Gary" wrote in message
I am planning to construct a vertical dipole array for 20m. The
electrical calculations are complete (with help from LB Cebik) and now
I'm looking for some advice on the physical construction. I'd like to
use Al tubing and find unfortunately that this is difficult to come by
locally. I will likely obtain this then from Texas Towers and therefore
the tubing lengths will be limited to 6 ft each. They do offer nesting
sizes so the real question is what diameter to utilize for the lower
most 6 ft segment (dipole being some 34 ft or so). Recalling the approx
dimensions of commercial vert antennas I've had in the past leads me to
believe that 1.25" or so would be sufficient. Comments/advice ?? I
would like to do this without guys if possible and plan on attaching the
lower-most segments to 4x4's. Thanks in advance all.

Gary

---

[email protected] August 19th 04 10:10 PM

Gary, I have stopped using aluminum tubes a long time ago preferring
to use alumimum tape on fishing poles and the like
For what you are doing I recommend purchasing fibre glass poles on EBay
which are government surplus. These come in just short of 4 feet
and slide into each other.
They are about 1/8 thick walls and about 2" diameter. You can overtape these
with sticky back aluminum
tape that you can purchase at any hardwaer store. As for guys I always feel
comfortable
when I have those especially for steadying things during construction and
removal.
I think I paid about $40 for mine which was 40foot total length.
( P.S. you can scrape the tape off if you designed it to long!)
Regards
Art

Richard Clark August 19th 04 10:16 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:05:55 -0400, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

HEY ! what happened to the "Cents" key there's a "$" key - but no cents.

You shoulda bought an Underwood Personal Computer - just my 2ยข worth.

G.Beat August 19th 04 11:26 PM

[...]

Here are some suggestions.

1. Texas Towers is a good known supplier, but you can also get 8 and 12 feet
lengths of 6061 Aluminum tubing.

2. I talked to Charles Penninger, KC9DAO (St. Charles, IL) last weekend.
He does carry 6061 aluminum tuning in the 8' & 12' lengths and can perform
custom machining -- if you require.

His "Clamp-It" series of mast clamps may be of interest for your design.
http://www.penninger.com/prod01.htm

His web site is just being developed
http://www.penninger.com/

3. DX Engineering has a number of appropriate parts (radio support block
clamps - up to 2" diameter), depending upon how you wish to construct the
verticals or attach them to a wooden 4x4.
http://www.dxengineering.com/default.asp?DeptID=6

4. Array Solutions - 41' monster
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/asvd41-fs.htm

5. Cal-AV Labs vertical antennas is an approach to study (full sized 1/4
waves)
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Produc...v_vfseries.htm

6. Don't forget a static bleeder choke
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Produc...surgecoils.htm

A 20 meter field day antenna
http://www.kn5l.net/fdantenna/

w9gb

Cecil Moore August 20th 04 04:45 AM

Angela & Gary wrote:
I will likely obtain this then from Texas Towers and therefore
the tubing lengths will be limited to 6 ft each. They do offer nesting
sizes so the real question is what diameter to utilize for the lower
most 6 ft segment (dipole being some 34 ft or so).

Texas Towers has a computer program that will give you the information.
Guyed elements are a lot more economical than non-guyed elements.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] August 20th 04 02:10 PM

I am planning to construct a vertical dipole array for 20m. The
electrical calculations are complete (with help from LB Cebik) and now
I'm looking for some advice on the physical construction. I'd like to

Here's one link:

http://k7nv.com/notebook/id3.htm

For 20m (unguyed), the base can be thinner than 1.25". To get an idea,
look at the taper schedule for 20m yagi elements...there the center
section is often 1" or even 7/8".

Torsten
N4OGW

Angela & Gary August 20th 04 07:52 PM

Angela & Gary wrote:
I will likely obtain this then from Texas Towers and therefore
the tubing lengths will be limited to 6 ft each. They do offer nesting
sizes so the real question is what diameter to utilize for the lower
most 6 ft segment (dipole being some 34 ft or so).

Texas Towers has a computer program that will give you the information.
Guyed elements are a lot more economical than non-guyed elements.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yes, I have heard of the existence of such a program - unfortunately,
the folks at Texas Towers have not. I emailed them approx 1 month ago
without joy. Was this program free for the using? If so, can anyone
forward it to me (or perhaps run a few numbers for me)?? Thanks again
all for the excellent suggestions/links etc.

Gary