Old November 18th 15, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default EMP

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 2:55:52 AM UTC-5, AndyW wrote:
On 17/11/2015 18:30, gareth wrote:
Those who were self-taught to the exclusion of sideband and sidetone
are no doubt unaware that in the event of a nuclear detonation that an EMP
will melt the RF amps in their RXs because of the amount of power that
their antennae will pick up?

It is not just the RF amps.
The EMP is a high power broadband RF pulse that will turn almost any bit
of wire regardless of length into an antenna and so fry any small scale
electronics that it attaches to.
Any electronics that is not in a Faraday cage is at risk if it is in a
high power region of the pulse.

Andy

Andy

Is there any possibility that that is an overstatement of the threat. I'm no expert. I don't pretend to be. When I was a Zoomy; low these many years ago; we were instructed to never open the case of any critical electronic item outside the shielded repair area. All of the Ground Radio Equipment was protected by two coaxial devices. The first covered stuff like lightning, snow static, etc.. The second one which was always at the antenna port of the radio was for EMP. The instructors alleged that if the equipment were installed in accordance with the technical manual's instructions and maintained that way it was safe from EMP. EMP protectors fail open. Each of the spares kits used in Strategic Air Command contained several of each type of protector.

So what I want to know is were they misinformed? Was that all hokus pokus. We were certainly held to a high level of compliance with that training. Since many of my officers behaved like business executive trainees I gradually lost all respect for my immediate leadership but that didn't lead me to believe that it was all nonsense.

I would truly appreciate answers based on actual testing or pear reviewed research rather than rules of thumb extended to unrelated issues.

--
Tom Horne W3TDH

Old November 19th 15, 01:23 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,comp.misc

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna gareth wrote:
Anyway, in the light of the events in Paris last Friday, and previously
the
attack
on the World Trade Centre on 11/9 the costly and
unnecessary nuclear deterrent doesn't seem to be working awfully well,
does
it?

As there has been no nuclear wars, I would say the "nuclear deterrent"
has worked well.

What nation state would you target for a nuclear reprisal?

Let's start with Chippenham.

Wot became of the Chippenham Volcano Experiment?
--
;-)
..

Old November 19th 15, 05:40 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,comp.misc

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

It disrupts everyday.

Are you capable of making positive social comments?

Old November 20th 15, 02:12 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,comp.misc

On 11/18/2015 1:55 AM, AndyW wrote:
On 17/11/2015 18:30, gareth wrote:
Those who were self-taught to the exclusion of sideband and sidetone
are no doubt unaware that in the event of a nuclear detonation that an
EMP
will melt the RF amps in their RXs because of the amount of power that
their antennae will pick up?

It is not just the RF amps.
The EMP is a high power broadband RF pulse that will turn almost any bit
of wire regardless of length into an antenna and so fry any small scale
electronics that it attaches to.
Any electronics that is not in a Faraday cage is at risk if it is in a
high power region of the pulse.

Andy

I think the EMP damage would depend on the size of the bomb, the
distance from the bomb, and the type of nuclear weapon used. There are
enough variables here to make it difficult to estimate the threat.

I don't know, are thermonuclear weapons capable of producing a larger
EMP? Just guessing on the blast produced I would say they would do more
damage. Again, that is only a guess. Do neutron bombs produce more or
less EMP?
Old November 20th 15, 03:43 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,comp.misc

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Tom wrote:
[...]

If you are close enough to a neutron bomb to experience the EMP, it is
irrelevant as you will be dead anyway.

If you really want to know about nuclear EMP, read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...magnetic_pulse

--
Jim Pennino
Old November 21st 15, 07:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,comp.misc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ5voe_d1Y

Old November 21st 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 8:46:07 PM UTC-6,

If you are close enough to a neutron bomb to experience the EMP, it is
irrelevant as you will be dead anyway.

That's been about my usual thinking.. I think the whole EMP deal is a wee tad
bit overplayed. Seems to me, if bad enough to toast infrastructure, bad enough
to toast carbon life forms. :| Or at the least, a severe pseudo sunburn..

Heck, a very close lightning strike is a fairly strong EMP event. Sometimes
it causes mayhem, often times not.
I still have old tube rigs if things came to that. But I don't fear for any of
my modern rigs if they aren't hooked up. And I have more than one rig to
increase the odds of one surviving.