RadioBanter

-   -   Never put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after! (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/223451-never-put-off-till-tomorrow-what-you-can-put-off-till-day-after.html)

gareth January 14th 16 07:43 PM

Never put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after!

Some months ago I enquired here as to the best strategy for recovering
a used PL259, but things being what they are / were, I was unable to get
around
to that particular project until this evening, and so I'd like to thank the
person
who suggested the idea of drilling through the solder holes so that the old
braid
could be pulled out but without the need for a soldering iron (which by
redistributing
the solder might have redistributed the problem to more inaccessible
places!)

Ralph Mowery January 14th 16 09:19 PM

"gareth" wrote in message
Some months ago I enquired here as to the best strategy for recovering
a used PL259, but things being what they are / were, I was unable to get
around
to that particular project until this evening, and so I'd like to thank
the person
who suggested the idea of drilling through the solder holes so that the
old braid
could be pulled out but without the need for a soldering iron (which by
redistributing
the solder might have redistributed the problem to more inaccessible
places!)

I think I did, anyway glad it worked out for you.

gareth January 15th 16 10:48 AM

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Some months ago I enquired here as to the best strategy for recovering
a used PL259, but things being what they are / were, I was unable to get
around
to that particular project until this evening, and so I'd like to thank
the person
who suggested the idea of drilling through the solder holes so that the
old braid
could be pulled out but without the need for a soldering iron (which by
redistributing
the solder might have redistributed the problem to more inaccessible
places!)

I think I did, anyway glad it worked out for you.

Well, thanks agian.

But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Ralph Mowery January 15th 16 01:51 PM

"gareth" wrote in message
But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Cut the braid outer jacket away about an inch or two behind the connector
leaving the center conductor sticking out. Put the conector in a vise, heat
the center pin and pull the conductor out with some pliers.
Then drill the holes.

Or you can do the drilling first, then heat the center while holding the
connector with the pliers and give it a quick hit near the edge of a table
and the center conductor should fall out.

gareth January 15th 16 06:48 PM

"gareth" wrote in message
But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Cut the braid outer jacket away about an inch or two behind the connector
leaving the center conductor sticking out. Put the conector in a vise,
heat the center pin and pull the conductor out with some pliers.
Then drill the holes.

Or you can do the drilling first, then heat the center while holding the
connector with the pliers and give it a quick hit near the edge of a table
and the center conductor should fall out.

Yes, indeed.

In the end I heated the end and used a jeweller's screwdriver to poke it out
when hot.

Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] January 16th 16 06:47 AM

"gareth" wrote in message
But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Cut the braid outer jacket away about an inch or two behind the connector
leaving the center conductor sticking out. Put the conector in a vise,
heat the center pin and pull the conductor out with some pliers.
Then drill the holes.

Or you can do the drilling first, then heat the center while holding the
connector with the pliers and give it a quick hit near the edge of a table
and the center conductor should fall out.

Yes, indeed.

In the end I heated the end and used a jeweller's screwdriver to poke it out
when hot.

Good to see a Class A(nus) radio amateur at the bleeding edge of technical
pursuit.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

highlandham[_3_] January 16th 16 07:37 PM

On 01/15/2016 01:51 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
But with one caveat, and that is, don't drill right through lest you
sever the central conductor making it difficult to get hold of when
desoldering it.

And thereby hangs a tale!

Cut the braid outer jacket away about an inch or two behind the connector
leaving the center conductor sticking out. Put the conector in a vise, heat
the center pin and pull the conductor out with some pliers.
Then drill the holes.

Or you can do the drilling first, then heat the center while holding the
connector with the pliers and give it a quick hit near the edge of a table
and the center conductor should fall out.

=====================
Having followed this tread , I feel it is totally unnecessary to use the
described PL259 connector ,but instead use a same function connector
with a cable entry as with an N-connector having a braid flange, rubber
sleeve and a compression fitting ,such that only the centre conductor of
the coax needs to be soldered to the centre pin of the connector.
In the UK these connectors (Taiwan made) with gold plated centre pin are
available from Westlake and others.
I never buy any other type for 10mm OD coax . They are not all that more
expensive than the connector discussed in this NG thread.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH

gareth January 16th 16 07:54 PM

"highlandham" wrote in message
Having followed this tread , I feel it is totally unnecessary to use the
described PL259 connector

Nonsense, it was totally necessary to use the available connector which
had been connected before the cable was chopped by a few feet.

It costs nothing to use something that is already to hand.

[email protected] January 16th 16 08:34 PM

gareth wrote:
"highlandham" wrote in message
Having followed this tread , I feel it is totally unnecessary to use the
described PL259 connector

Nonsense, it was totally necessary to use the available connector which
had been connected before the cable was chopped by a few feet.

It costs nothing to use something that is already to hand.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

--
Jim Pennino

Michael Black[_2_] January 17th 16 04:33 PM

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, gareth wrote:

"highlandham" wrote in message
Having followed this tread , I feel it is totally unnecessary to use the
described PL259 connector

Nonsense, it was totally necessary to use the available connector which
had been connected before the cable was chopped by a few feet.

It costs nothing to use something that is already to hand.

If I dug around, I might find some UHF connectors attached to some cable,
but if I "needed" one, I'd probably have to buy one.

On the other hand, some years back I was walking along and came upon a
pile of junk waiting for the garbage truck, and there were an almost
endless supply of BNC connectors, mostly used but some new, and sadly all
but a few were male. I grabbed a bunch on the outward bound trip, and
when I came back there were still there, so I grabbed pretty much all that
was there. That amounted to quite a bit of weight in total.

So there'd have to be some special reason to use UHF connectors for me.
The only bad thing about that find was that there weren't many female
connectors, and while the local surplus store once had some odd bits of
something that included two female BNC connectors, that wsa in the past
when I found this pile of male connectors.

Michael