Old February 28th 16, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default Everything you want to know about antennae ....

"Wayne" wrote in message

There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes
inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100
watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage to
successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to
your claim.

Old February 28th 16, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339" wrote in message

"Wayne" wrote in message

There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes
inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100
watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage to
successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to
your claim.

In my claim, equal power arrives at the long or short antenna AFTER the
ohmic resistances have already occurred.

Doesn't matter if you need 2000 watts to deliver 100 watts to the short
antenna.

My understanding is that you claim the short antenna is inefficient only
because it is short.

Old February 28th 16, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 wrote:
"Wayne" wrote in message

There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes
inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100
watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage to
successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to
your claim.

I make all my short antennas out of superconductors so they do not have
ohmic resistance.

--
Jim Pennino
Old February 28th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message

There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100 watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage
to successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to your claim.

In my claim, equal power arrives at the long or short antenna AFTER the
ohmic resistances have already occurred.

Doesn't matter if you need 2000 watts to deliver 100 watts to the short antenna.

My understanding is that you claim the short antenna is inefficient only
because it is short.

Wayne, you're wasting your breath. You'll never get Gareth to see sense on
this. He's been banging this drum for years now.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old February 29th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes
inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100
watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage to
successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to
your claim.

In my claim, equal power arrives at the long or short antenna AFTER the
ohmic resistances have already occurred.

I don't know what you mean by that. The Ohmic resistances to which I
referred
were those of the antenna rod itself.

Old March 3rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 02/24/2016 12:19 AM, Richard Fry wrote:
"Wayne" wrote

Dead on explanation. Some have insisted that inefficiencies
result from antenna size and not from matching challenges.

_______

Kindly note that the radiation efficiency of an antenna _system_ is
related to its radiation resistance compared to other resistive losses
present in that antenna system.

It is possible to perfectly match the impedance at the feedpoint of an
antenna system to the impedance of the transmission line connected
there. But that antenna system still can have very poor radiation
efficiency at that frequency.

An example of this is a Z-matched, but electrically short vertical
monopole driven against a poor r-f ground connection such as a few
buried ground rods. Most of the available transmitter power is
dissipated in the r-f ground resistance, rather than being usefully
radiated as e-m waves.

===============================
That all depends on the length of the antenna against the operating
frequency .
A half wave vertical has a high RF voltage at its "bottom" but a low RF
current at that point ,hence less ground loss ,meaning that not all that
many radials are required compared with a quarter wave vertical .
Of course an impedance transformer is required .
A well known transformer is an inductor of 14 windings between ground
and vertical antenna and over it one of 2 windings connected to the
feeder and hence transmitter ,resulting in a 1:7 voltage transformation
,hence a 1: 49 (say 50) impedance transformation . Across the 14
windings is a HV variable capacitor to adjust for minimal SWR.

A well known matching circuit (tuner if you wish) used for low power HF
ARDF transmitters is the L-circuit by G3ZOI
Here the low impedance of the transmitter's output is in series with a
variable capacitor the other side connected to the(high impedance) short
wire antenna and to a grounded inductor . With 2 diodes in series with a
LED in de output to the antenna the LED is adjusted for max RF current
(max LED brightness). For 1-5 W transmitters the variable capacitor can
be a polyvarcon type from a portable MW receiver ....works very well !

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT
Old March 3rd 16, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
There has previously on the newsgroup been a claim that shortness makes
inefficiency.
To that I say that if for example, 100 watts is fed to a resonant HF
dipole, and 100 watts is fed to a 1 foot long dipole, both radiate 100
watts.
Different patterns, but the power radiated is the same, if you manage to
successfully get the power to the antenna.

The ratio of radiation resistance to ohmic resistance will give the lie to
your claim.

In my claim, equal power arrives at the long or short antenna AFTER the
ohmic resistances have already occurred.

I don't know what you mean by that. The Ohmic resistances to which I
referred
were those of the antenna rod itself.

All practical antenna have ohmic resistance. None are perfectly
efficient. You can design any antenna to have any efficiency you wish
by using suitable materials even if you have to use superconductors.

--

Rick
Old March 4th 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

I gave up. If we are talking about theoretical antennas, they are lossless.

Old March 4th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Theoretical antennas have whatever loss you assign to them.

--
Jim Pennino
Old March 4th 16, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

And lossless is a good way to get down to basics.

Antennae and the FT-450D gareth Antenna 2 October 6th 15 09:49 PM
Long antennae for LF and VLF? gareth Antenna 1 March 12th 15 09:44 AM
The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed. gareth Antenna 119 February 24th 15 09:54 AM
Top Band Antennae? gareth Antenna 11 February 21st 15 06:10 PM
Homemade Antennae, help Steve Muir Antenna 6 April 12th 04 04:44 AM