RadioBanter

-   -   Active Antennae? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/248064-active-antennae.html)

Burt Evans October 8th 17 12:29 PM

Active Antennae?

While looking for a does it all antennae for my Kenwood R5000 receiver
(with the 108-174 MHz option) I came across this website:

http://www.g8jnj.net/activeantennas.htm

The Clifton Labs Active monopole is of particular interest to me as he
says "This circuit seems to work very well, and has an extremely flat
frequency response from about 10KHz upto 180MHz." That would cover the
whole range of my receiver.

Anyone have any experience of this, or any other active antennae? I'd
rather build one than buy one, anyone got any designs they can recommend?

Thx.

J.B. Wood[_2_] October 10th 17 11:30 AM

Active Antennae?

On 10/08/2017 07:29 AM, Burt Evans wrote:
While looking for a does it all antennae for my Kenwood R5000 receiver
(with the 108-174 MHz option) I came across this website:

http://www.g8jnj.net/activeantennas.htm

The Clifton Labs Active monopole is of particular interest to me as he
says "This circuit seems to work very well, and has an extremely flat
frequency response from about 10KHz upto 180MHz." That would cover the
whole range of my receiver.

Anyone have any experience of this, or any other active antennae? I'd
rather build one than buy one, anyone got any designs they can recommend?

Thx.

Hello, and basically an "active" antenna pairs a preamp with an antenna.
This is the same as considering a satellite receiving dish + LNA as
"the antenna". The problem here is that unless you can improve the S/N
at the RF input terminals of your receiver, you won't accomplish
anything. Things might even be worse with the active antenna. It boils
down to the amount of excess noise introduced by the receiver and the
excess noise introduced by the preamp. A lossy (at the frequency(s) of
interest) cable run between the active antenna and receiver input will
also degrade S/N performance.

The linearity (distortion performance) of the preamp is also important,
especially if the active antenna is exposed to strong non-signals of
interest at its input absent any preselection filtering. Sincerely, and
73s from N4GGO,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

amdx[_3_] October 31st 17 12:00 AM

Active Antennae?

On 10/8/2017 6:29 AM, Burt Evans wrote:
While looking for a does it all antennae for my Kenwood R5000 receiver
(with the 108-174 MHz option) I came across this website:

http://www.g8jnj.net/activeantennas.htm

The Clifton Labs Active monopole is of particular interest to me as he
says "This circuit seems to work very well, and has an extremely flat
frequency response from about 10KHz upto 180MHz." That would cover the
whole range of my receiver.

Anyone have any experience of this, or any other active antennae? I'd
rather build one than buy one, anyone got any designs they can recommend?

Thx.

I just ordered one of these this morning.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Ac...AOSwurZZLoq W

Oh, sorry only good to 30MHz.
Mikek