Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th 04, 06:10 PM

Default Gas lines and ground rods

Hi all,
Am designing my shack, and I think I have a problem.Very near the
shack entrance is the entrance of my natural gas line to the house,
plus meter. Now I know I cant attach ground to gas line.... the
question is, how close can I get my rods? I plan to use 3, one right
outside the entrance, and the others 10 feet to either side. I dont
have the option of running away from the house more than 3-4 feet. The
first rod would be about 3-4 ft away from the gas line, but the ground
strap will have to go very very near the gas line. Am I looking at an
explosion in the event of a lightning strike? or will a few inches of
earth be enough insulation? I should point out that there appears to
be an aluminum ground rod driven into the ground at the same point the
gas line exits the earth. Thanks for any advice and information!