Old November 9th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

Default How to best choke a receiver feedline

I'm installing an active antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

The seller discusses choking the feedline to prevent it
from adding signal.
How do I best accomplish this.
I don't have any beads, I do have loads if ferrite potcores and some
toroids.
The antenna will be up 24ft, last 4 feet is pvc, the first 20 ft is
steel.
Will it help to run the coax inside the mast?
About 75 ft of the coax is run underground and then about 7 feet up to
the radio.
I plan to choke it at both ends.

Mikek

Old November 16th 17, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:23:15 -0600, amdx wrote:

I'm installing an active antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

The seller discusses choking the feedline to prevent it
from adding signal.
How do I best accomplish this.
I don't have any beads, I do have loads if ferrite potcores and some
toroids.
The antenna will be up 24ft, last 4 feet is pvc, the first 20 ft is
steel.
Will it help to run the coax inside the mast?
About 75 ft of the coax is run underground and then about 7 feet up to
the radio.
I plan to choke it at both ends.

Mikek

This is no antenna, it is a joke, a bad joke.

w.
Old November 16th 17, 11:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

On 16/11/2017 07:36, Helmut Wabnig wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:23:15 -0600, amdx wrote:

I'm installing an active antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

The seller discusses choking the feedline to prevent it
from adding signal.
How do I best accomplish this.
I don't have any beads, I do have loads if ferrite potcores and some
toroids.
The antenna will be up 24ft, last 4 feet is pvc, the first 20 ft is
steel.
Will it help to run the coax inside the mast?
About 75 ft of the coax is run underground and then about 7 feet up to
the radio.
I plan to choke it at both ends.

Mikek

This is no antenna, it is a joke, a bad joke.

w.

It is a perfectly acceptable active antenna, and works as well as any
other short active antenna.

The comments about choking the feed-line are quite reasonable, it you
have an antenna high up in the clear you don't want signals,
particularly local noise, picked up on the feeder being fed to the receiver.

Jeff
Old November 16th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

Jeff wrote on 11/16/2017 5:16 AM:
[...]

An acceptable choke can be a coil made of the feedline coax, correct? My
understanding is you have to match any magnetic material to the frequency in
use while an air core doesn't have that complication.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Old November 16th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

An acceptable choke can be a coil made of the feedline coax, correct?

Depends on the frequency in question.

My understanding is you have to match any magnetic material to the
frequency in use while an air core doesn't have that complication.

True, but at lower frequencies it is not possible to get enough
inductance without a magnetic core of some sore in a reasonable size.

Jef

Old November 17th 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

On 11/16/2017 1:36 AM, Helmut Wabnig wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:23:15 -0600, amdx wrote:

I'm installing an active antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

The seller discusses choking the feedline to prevent it
from adding signal.
How do I best accomplish this.
I don't have any beads, I do have loads if ferrite potcores and some
toroids.
The antenna will be up 24ft, last 4 feet is pvc, the first 20 ft is
steel.
Will it help to run the coax inside the mast?
About 75 ft of the coax is run underground and then about 7 feet up to
the radio.
I plan to choke it at both ends.

Mikek

This is no antenna, it is a joke, a bad joke.

w.

Hmm, everyone has an opinion, is yours based on testing one?

Anyway, I found my problem was not the feedline. I started turning off
breakers and one of them shut down the buzz. Two sources of buzz were on
that breaker and outdoor light with IR sensor and my garage door opener.
I had a very minor buzz left, audible but didn't show up on the S meter.
That was cleared with an isolation transformer and lifting the ground wire.
Now I can receive 200kHz beacons, AMBCB, 80 meters, 40 meters 10
meters and 28 MHz CBer's. So it works, do I have anything to compare it
to, not yet, but I'll be putting up a long wire soon.

Mikek

Btw, the antenna is quiet, without any chokes. I don't know if
running the coax inside the metal mast helped, the mostly underground
feed line probably did. Oh, I just realized I do have a choke at the
bottom of the mast, just before the feed line goes into the ground. I'll
remove that tomorrow and see if it's needed.

Feedline suggestions? Wayne Antenna 20 December 9th 11 02:13 AM
A very odd feedline. [email protected] Shortwave 3 December 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Feedline Doug Birky Antenna 7 August 29th 04 07:09 PM
50 ohm feedline to HQ-140-X Kevin Lunde Boatanchors 4 December 20th 03 12:35 PM
450^ feedline for 1L 160 Loop greg z Antenna 3 December 20th 03 01:07 AM