RadioBanter

-   -   Tool for flat antenna wire? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/25010-tool-flat-antenna-wire.html)

Dhakala January 7th 05 03:46 AM

Tool for flat antenna wire?

I'm designing a thingie that requires 20 to 24 ga 300 ohm flat antenna
wire. I find it's a real PITA to separate the ends of the wire, trim
that 1/4" of insulation out from between them, and strip the ends. Is
there a tool that simplifies this job? If so, what is it called and
where might I find it?

Thanks!

Dale Parfitt January 7th 05 03:56 AM

"Dhakala" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm designing a thingie that requires 20 to 24 ga 300 ohm flat antenna
wire. I find it's a real PITA to separate the ends of the wire, trim
that 1/4" of insulation out from between them, and strip the ends. Is
there a tool that simplifies this job? If so, what is it called and
where might I find it?

Thanks!

A good pair of scissors and a wire stripper

Cecil Moore January 7th 05 04:03 AM

Dhakala wrote:
I'm designing a thingie that requires 20 to 24 ga 300 ohm flat antenna
wire. I find it's a real PITA to separate the ends of the wire, trim
that 1/4" of insulation out from between them, and strip the ends. Is
there a tool that simplifies this job? If so, what is it called and
where might I find it?

Use 300 ohm ladder-line (window-line). Remove the inside dielectric
with an Exacto knife and treat the remaining wires normally.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dhakala January 7th 05 06:30 AM

I'm afraid scissors and wire stripper are what's taking so long. I'm
hoping to find something that will chop out 1-2" of flat insulation at
a pull of a lever or something, leaving the insulation-wrapped wires
ready for stripping.

Dhakala January 7th 05 06:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. Why would it be easier to cut the insulation
from the inside of 300 ohm ladder-line wire than from flat antenna wire?

Cecil Moore January 7th 05 02:18 PM

Dhakala wrote:
I'm afraid scissors and wire stripper are what's taking so long. I'm
hoping to find something that will chop out 1-2" of flat insulation at
a pull of a lever or something, leaving the insulation-wrapped wires
ready for stripping.

Forget the scissors and use an Exacto knife on the center insulation.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore January 7th 05 02:24 PM

Dhakala wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Why would it be easier to cut the insulation
from the inside of 300 ohm ladder-line wire than from flat antenna wire?

Because more than half has been chopped out already. You can cut
the ladder-line at a place where there's no center insulation and
have one inch wire tails needing only a wire stripper. If you
need longer wire tails than that, you only need to cut out about
1/4" of center insulation with an Exacto knife to achieve two inch
wire tails.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Bob Miller January 7th 05 06:46 PM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:24:20 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Dhakala wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Why would it be easier to cut the insulation
from the inside of 300 ohm ladder-line wire than from flat antenna wire?

Because more than half has been chopped out already. You can cut
the ladder-line at a place where there's no center insulation and
have one inch wire tails needing only a wire stripper. If you
need longer wire tails than that, you only need to cut out about
1/4" of center insulation with an Exacto knife to achieve two inch
wire tails.

I have an Exacto knife, but find a no. 199 Stanley box cutter, with
its bigger blade, a good tool for something like this. Either way, it
only takes a couple of seconds...

THere's probably a special stripper for 300-ohm line, but it probably
costs a pretty penny, too.

Bob
k5qwg

Dhakala January 7th 05 07:31 PM

Thanks, Cecil. Now that I've seen a pic of ladder-line I know what you
mean. Two short, lengthwise cuts and I'm done! :-)

Dhakala January 7th 05 07:34 PM

Thanks for the box cutter suggestion, Bob!

Perhaps I can fashion a metal stamp for this sort of thing. Just a
U-shaped piece of lawn mower blade or something like that. A good whack
with a mallet would cut out an appropriate chunk neatly and
consistently. But I'll use the box cutter and ladder-line until volume
gets really heavy.