RadioBanter

-   -   radiotelescope and sterility... (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/25025-radiotelescope-sterility.html)

Thierry January 9th 05 01:28 PM

radiotelescope and sterility...

Hi,

We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests or to
send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working in the dish.
Has someone some idea of the power require to produce such a effect or any
generic graph (from IEEE standards ?) showing the risk vs frequency or
emitting power ? I have one,
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radi...ower-field.gif but I would like
to get a better idea of the power require (in W, Jy, etc).
If I had an idea of the require dBi and W , I could compute the EIRP and all
concerned values.

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

Jacques January 9th 05 02:01 PM

Thierry wrote:
We know...

Do we ?

...that during the emission of a
radiotelescope (rare, for tests or to
send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can
sterilize people working in the dish.

rolls eyes

Try tin foil pants to match the tin foil hat.

Has someone some idea of the power require
to produce such a effect or any generic
graph (from IEEE standards ?) showing the
risk vs frequency or emitting power ?

Health Canada's Safety Code 6.

Hint - it's not a dish issue with huge dishes. It might be a feed issue
in the worst case. The bigger the dish, the less the issue (the feed
being further away).

Likely, the 600mW cell phone is worse. And the 5w hand held W/T is
even worse than that.

If you own a strong magnet and an electric stove, hold the magnet in
your hand and turn on one stove top electric burner element to max.
Bring the magnet close to the element and feel the very strong
vibrations. (Don't burn your hand.)

Ian White, G3SEK January 9th 05 03:45 PM

Thierry wrote:
We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests
or to send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working
in the dish.

Nonsense - we know nothing of the sort.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Me January 9th 05 08:17 PM

In article , "Thierry" - wrote:

We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests or to
send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working in the dish.

If "We" know all this, "We" should not be in the dish when these test
are being conducted. Duhhhh.....

Me

Yuri Blanarovich January 9th 05 11:39 PM

Thierry wrote:
We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests
or to send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working
in the dish.

Nonsense - we know nothing of the sort.

No-nonsense, it is sense. RF exposure causes temporary sterility, kinda birth
control. Too much RF can cook us.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Fractenna January 9th 05 11:48 PM

A radio telescope is a receive-only device. It is incapable of rendering
anything sterile.

A radar telescope--using a dish--can be dangerous and the EIRP can be
megawatts. In this case, a number of health dangers apply. Fortunately those
most likely to be exposed are the best informed, and I am not familiar with a
single case of dangerous exposure.

SETI has nothing to do with this.

73,
Chip N1IR

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H January 9th 05 11:51 PM

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

Thierry wrote:
We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests
or to send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working
in the dish.

Nonsense - we know nothing of the sort.

No-nonsense, it is sense. RF exposure causes temporary sterility, kinda
birth
control. Too much RF can cook us.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Yuri
Depends on the fequency.
The fact that you're still here confirms it's not too bad.
73

Hal Rosser January 10th 05 02:15 AM

We recommend getting a vasectomy instead of microwaving yourself. Its less
painful, and cleaner.

David G. Nagel January 10th 05 05:36 AM

Fractenna wrote:
A radio telescope is a receive-only device. It is incapable of rendering
anything sterile.

A radar telescope--using a dish--can be dangerous and the EIRP can be
megawatts. In this case, a number of health dangers apply. Fortunately those
most likely to be exposed are the best informed, and I am not familiar with a
single case of dangerous exposure.

SETI has nothing to do with this.

73,
Chip N1IR

According to a article I read sometime ago the people that built the
BWMEWS system in Greenland used to stand in front of the antenna and
warm up.

Dave WD9BDZ

Tom Donaly January 10th 05 05:56 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Thierry wrote:

We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests
or to send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working
in the dish.

Nonsense - we know nothing of the sort.

No-nonsense, it is sense. RF exposure causes temporary sterility, kinda birth
control. Too much RF can cook us.

Yuri, K3BU.us

I wouldn't depend on it, Yuri. You'd have better luck with the
rhythm method.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH