Old January 10th 05, 09:23 PM
Simon Smith

Default Yaesu FT-7800 E

Has anyone on the group got an opinion on this 2m-70cm mobile transceiver ?
I am almost ready to purchase one but thought I would ask for some feedback.
73's

John M3IIV
Cornwall - UK

Old January 11th 05, 03:14 AM
John Franklin

Well John, I have an FT-7800 and am quite satisfied with mine,
it is easy to move around through the memories, and controls. A thousand
memories..............I don't quite know what i will do with all of
them.......

John WB7FFI

?

Old January 11th 05, 02:47 PM
JD

Did you try the eham.com reviews???
I always check them before I make a major purchase of equipment.
JD, VE3DIX

Old January 11th 05, 03:46 PM
Airy R.Bean

It's a CB rig for CBers.

But then again, you're not a Radio Ham, you're an M3/CBer, so
go right ahead with your off-the-shelf purchase.

Radio Hams design and manufacture their own gear.

Old January 11th 05, 05:52 PM
Simon Smith

Mr Bean.
Airy......
I haven't got the know how or the time to build my own transceiver - and I
admire anyone who has. Wonderful talent to have.
I have so far followed all the steps suggested by the RSGB - I obtained the
foundation license book and studied it. I then attended a course at Poldu
Amature Radio Club in Cornwall and at the end of this training I passed a
basic Morse test along with a pass in the written test paper. This entitled
me to a apply for a call sign as a beginner. I am now waiting for an
intermediate course to begin and I will study again and hopefully pass first
time. Next will be the advanced course and by then I hope to have obtained
enough knowledge be called a Radio Armature.
In his welcome to me at Foundation Level Peter Kirby, GOTWW, General
Manager of the RSGB said:
"Record numbers are coming into the Hobby at the foundation Level and well
over a thousand of these are under the age of 21". "The continued success of
the revival is in our own hands." "We must promote and encourage this
wonderful hobby at all levels". If we all pull to-gather we have much to
look foreword to.

So there you have it Mr Bean - So far I have found everyone I have come
into contact with to be most helpful and enthusiastic.
I rather get the feeling you are against anyone who is a "beginner" which
is a pity.
I don't know why you feel like this.. I respect your opinion but - not all
beginners are "CBers" you know. And not all CBers are rude either.
Perhaps you considerable expertise might be put to better use in helping
newcomers instead of condemning us !
John
M3IIV

Old January 11th 05, 06:17 PM
Airy R.Bean

I'm not against beginners; but beginners must begin at
the beginning; and the beginning is not the issuance
of a licence in what is a technical pursuit.

As to CBers, au contraire! - all those who come onto the bands with
M3 callsigns are indistinguishable from CBers - little if
any technical knowledge and a requirement to use rigs of
a type approved by the Britland and with limited power levels. Just like
a CB licence, you get the M3/CB Fools' Licence within 2 days
of starting out from scratch. As the RAE was tackled and then
passed by otherwise-unqualified self-taught 14-year-olds I cannot
see any reason why the standards needed to be lowered to let
a licence be given on a plate to those even less qualified than
the unqualified 14-year-olds.

Such licences are not Ham Radio licences by any stretch
of the imagination, and I regret that you have been deceived
by the commercial interests of the book publisher, the RSCB,
if you have been led to believe otherwise.

I help and encourage many beginners, but never those
of the CB persuasion in the M3 guise.

I do _NOT_ condemn you; I merely refuse to associate
with you because such association will do harm for the
long term future of Ham Radio as a technical pursuit.

Old January 12th 05, 03:28 AM
Old Ed

Hi John -

Welcome to the hobby, from across the pond!

It didn't look like anyone answered your question about eham.net
(note: NOT eham.com), so try this:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4779

If you navigate around the site just a bit, you will find many
more reviews on the FT-7800R version. I assume it's very
similar, but I haven't looked up the differences.

BTW, I think you would do well to ignore posts from trolls
and flamers. There is no upside to getting into a spraying
contest with a skunk. (I have done it a few times, so I know.)

73, Ed, W6LOL