RadioBanter

-   -   DOes a ground plane need a choke? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/25045-does-ground-plane-need-choke.html)

Zombie Wolf January 12th 05 09:30 PM

oh god. here we go again. I didn't SAY that "RF flows into the antenna
mast". Read the post again.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Zombie Wolf wrote:
A "ground plane" antenna is designed to 'fool" the antenna into thinking

the
horizontal radials are actually the surface of the earth. This term

actually
has nothing to do with grounding the antenna. However, the antenna will

work
better if the mast of it is grounded, since this gives the radials an

actual
earth ground reference electrically, and it therefore will work more

closely
to it's design specs.

Why would RF currents flowing in the mast make the
antenna work better? Wouldn't that be about the
same as common-mode transmission line currents?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Cecil Moore January 12th 05 11:46 PM

Zombie Wolf wrote:
oh god. here we go again. I didn't SAY that "RF flows into the antenna
mast". Read the post again.

Please rethink your position. If no RF current flows in the mast, a
fiberglas mast is just as good as a metal mast. If you are depending
upon the mast to furnish a ground, RF current *must* be flowing in the
mast. Otherwise, how do you know it is providing a ground? You simply
cannot have it both ways. I hope that soaks in.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp