Old January 16th 05, 02:02 AM

Default Best coax and entry route. (And newbie question).

Well, I went to my first hamfest and I am now the owner of an alinco dr
590 dual band radio I wish to use as a base station. I must now decide
where to locate an antenna. I have a tv town that I could mount it on
but It would require about 70 feet of cable and fishing of the coax
through some insulated walls upstairs. Or, I could mount the antennas
to my vinyle chimney somehow and only have about a 20 foot run. But how
would I get the cable inside my house? The only way I see is drillling
a hole in the side of the house which I am not crazy of.

What is the best/most econmical cable to use? How would you do this
installation?

Also, I dont have a power supply. I do have a deep cycle battery. Would
it be improper to use this in my house as a temporary measure?

By the way this radio has two antenna inputs. I think I will use two
different antennas. I am thinking of building a beam for 440 and using
a j pole or ground plane for 2 meters.
I appreciate any advice you could give me!

Old January 16th 05, 03:03 AM
Bob Miller

On 15 Jan 2005 18:02:46 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Any beginning ham is going to have a million questions -- have you
considered getting a copy of the ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs? You
can get it at
www.arrl.org in their product store, or from
www.amazon.com for a probably lower price. It will answer just about
any question about setting up your station, including all of the
questions above, and the million or more you'll have in the coming
days :-)

Have fun!

Bob
k5qwg

Old January 16th 05, 09:28 AM
nick smith

I would drill one hole, if you really don't want to drill two, and use a
diplexer. Cable losses are worth saving for that - its no big deal drilling a
hole - much more of mounting aerials safely.
Even better drill a 30 to 40 mm diameter hole, sleeve it with waste pipe, then
run whatever cables you want, when you want. I guess you won't like that though
!
Always use good quality cable - its a cheap "upgrade" - no point in spending
500 to 1500 on a superb rig and wasting half its power in cable losses ! UR67
or RG213 at least - in UK I use Wesflex 103.
A power supply is a good investment - secondhand they are not expensive, but
many use batteries and chargers so its an option.
Wire it up safely ! Fuses where appropriate etc and thick power cables to
minimise losses there - no "bell wire".
As the other poster said - borrow the ARRL or similar from the library or buy
it new or secondhand - the contents don't change too much too fast........

Hope that helps,

Welcome to Amateur Radio !

Nick

Old January 17th 05, 03:19 PM
'Doc

stryped,
I'd be willing to bet that you already have a 'hole' or
two in your house. Use one of those (eave vents?). The
suggestion to read all you can get your hands on is a good
one!
'Doc