RadioBanter

-   -   Re-Normalizing the Smith Chart (Changing the SWR into thesame... (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/252-re-re-normalizing-smith-chart-changing-swr-into-thesame.html)

W5DXP August 21st 03 05:39 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

W5DXP wrote:
Energy cannot reverse its momentum without reversing its momentum. If
no other bright rings exist, then it must reverse its momentum.

He wouldn't be silly enough to say that, either. :-)

Because he probably wouldn't even bother speaking to someone
who necessitated such an obvious statement. He would probably
just call the guys in the white coats. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 21st 03 06:10 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
W5DXP wrote:
On the contrary, my bench was located in my back yard in Queen
Creek, AZ at the time - during the dry season, of course.

Even more remote from the discussion. Will we be regaled about the
splinters in the bench next?

May I remind you, Richard, that it was you who brought up the subject
of bench testing (as if testing cannot be done without a bench). I
merely responded to your requirement for a bench. My bench was a card
table in my back yard. That's exactly where I did my variable length
transmission line testing - in my back yard in Queen Creek, AZ on
a pleasant spring or fall day (I forget which). It wasn't boiling
and it wasn't freezing so it must have been spring or fall. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison August 22nd 03 04:44 PM

Keith wrote:
"Are you sure you want to discard all thoughts of the instantaneous?

Certainly not, but it has little application to power in transmission
line problems.

Power is the rate of transferring energy or the rate of doing work.
Electrical power is measured in joules per seconds or more succinctly in
watts.

What is the value in watts or joules per second when seconds equal
zero? I venture an answer: It is the V x I x cos. theta at that instant,
but since work is power x time, it won`t do anything for you in zero
seconds.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Tdonaly August 22nd 03 06:18 PM

Keith wrote:
"Are you sure you want to discard all thoughts of the instantaneous?

Certainly not, but it has little application to power in transmission
line problems.

Power is the rate of transferring energy or the rate of doing work.
Electrical power is measured in joules per seconds or more succinctly in
watts.

What is the value in watts or joules per second when seconds equal
zero? I venture an answer: It is the V x I x cos. theta at that instant,
but since work is power x time, it won`t do anything for you in zero
seconds.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

If Zeno were around today, he could prove that - based on Cecil's idea
that, as dt goes to zero, energy transfer also goes to zero - there
can be no transfer of energy in a transmission line, since any number
times zero is still zero. Of course, we can all see the fallacy in
that argument, can't we?

W5DXP August 22nd 03 06:36 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
If Zeno were around today, he could prove that - based on Cecil's idea
that, as dt goes to zero, energy transfer also goes to zero - there
can be no transfer of energy in a transmission line, since any number
times zero is still zero. Of course, we can all see the fallacy in
that argument, can't we?

What's the fallacy? If dt=0, then time stands still,
and of course, nothing happens and nothing moves.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Tdonaly August 22nd 03 07:00 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
If Zeno were around today, he could prove that - based on Cecil's idea
that, as dt goes to zero, energy transfer also goes to zero - there
can be no transfer of energy in a transmission line, since any number
times zero is still zero. Of course, we can all see the fallacy in
that argument, can't we?

What's the fallacy? If dt=0, then time stands still,
and of course, nothing happens and nothing moves.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

So you think it's impossible to send energy from one
place to another via a transmission line? Hmmm. I
guess Achilles never did catch that turtle.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

W5DXP August 22nd 03 07:16 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
So you think it's impossible to send energy from one
place to another via a transmission line?

In zero time, yes. Isn't that what the speed of light
limit is all about?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Richard Clark August 22nd 03 07:25 PM

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:16:03 -0700, W5DXP
wrote:

Tdonaly wrote:
So you think it's impossible to send energy from one
place to another via a transmission line?

In zero time, yes. Isn't that what the speed of light
limit is all about?

Hi Cecil,

At the speed of light (in any media) power is transferred in zero time
by definition.

Of course if you are Achilles, outside of the power's frame of
reference, you have already lost the chase. :-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roy Lewallen August 22nd 03 08:36 PM

In circuits involving purely sinusoidal V and I of the same frequency,
the power waveform is actually a true sinusoidal function, except with a
D.C. offset. It doesn't at all resemble the output from a full wave
rectifier. The D.C. offset is the average value, and the frequency of
the sine portion is twice the frequency of V or I.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jim Kelley wrote:

Richard Harrison wrote:

What is the value in watts or joules per second when seconds equal
zero? I venture an answer: It is the V x I x cos. theta at that instant,
but since work is power x time, it won`t do anything for you in zero
seconds.

I think you have a slight misconception about the meaning of
instantaneous power. AC power is a pseudo-sinusoidal function with
respect to time, like that of full-wave rectifier. The function has a
value, an instantaneous amplitude, at any time t which represents the
rate at which energy in Joules is moving past a point x at time t. It
may not be a terribly useful thing to know, but it isn't a ficticious
quantity.

73, ac6xg

Tdonaly August 22nd 03 08:44 PM

Tdonaly wrote:
So you think it's impossible to send energy from one
place to another via a transmission line?

In zero time, yes. Isn't that what the speed of light
limit is all about?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Cecil,
as delta t goes to zero, the quantity dx/dt doesn't necessarily
also go to zero. If it did, no one would ever again have to get a permanent
headache studying calculus.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH