Old November 26th 04, 03:14 PM
James

Default TX Distance question

Hi Folks

I have limited experience (ok almost none really) with respect to
Amateur Radio outside of the 2M band. However I just recently got my
code ticket & installed a radio on my sailboat. I am using a TS-50 with
an automatic tuner and a long copper wire to the top of the mast
(probably 50 feet or so long).

My ground plane/counterpoise consists of tying the ground to a large
aluminium area in the stern of the boat with a copper foil.

My very first contacts were established with 2 land stations on 14300 at
100W that were about 1000 miles away. They both reported that my signal
was good and that it sounded like I was "sitting right next to them". I
have no idea if this was a good distance, great, or mediocre.

I realize that propogation variables prevent anyone from giving a really
clear answer to this question, but in general, what sort of distance
should I expect to achieve? I'm trying to decide whether I need to
improve my antenna ground by adding a dynaplate (costly and requies the
boat to be taken from the water for installation) or whether the range I
am getting is decent.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks
Old November 26th 04, 04:59 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

James wrote:
[...]

Propagation will have a HUGE effect on your distance capability. Under
good conditions your station should be able to work any point on earth.
On the other hand, when the 14MHz band "goes out" (which at this point
in the sunspot cycle will happen pretty much every night) you'll be
lucky to work 30 miles.

I think the ground you describe should be more than adequate. (many
land-based mobiles settle for something MUCH, MUCH worse!)

You'll need lower frequencies for nighttime operation. 7MHz and 3.5MHz.
The antenna *may* (or may not) be too short for effective operation on
these bands. Try it, the worst that can happen is the automatic tuner
will refuse to make a match. (I think you'll probably be OK on 7, 3.5
may be a problem)

Good luck!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 26th 04, 08:56 PM
Jack Painter

"James" wrote
[...]

James, considering you most likely have an ungrounded counterpoise instead
of a good ground commonly employed, I think that's outstanding distance from
a sailboat. In many cases during daytime operation, I have heard the Mobile
Maritime Nets have to shift around to various operators before they could
have copy as good as you describe, and from a lot less distance. If all you
intend to use the radio for is hobby work on the 40 meter band, why mess
with success? However your 50' of wire should typically also tune up on 2182
khz sufficiently for the distance commonly covered by USCG Groups and
Caribbean RCC's (about 200 miles). Canadian Coast Guard Radio stations will
often answer vessels as far as 500 miles away. Higher bands of maritime
mobile channels would be better of course. I'm sure you're aware those
require a separate station license on your vessel. Good job on installing
your station. If you come up on maritime mobile maybe we'll get to talk
someday.

Jack Painter
Oceana Radio
Virginia Beach VA

Old November 27th 04, 06:48 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:14:46 -0500, James
wrote:

Can anyone comment?

Hi James,

Well, as to the DX range, that has been responded to. So, to add to
all the comments in regard to height of antenna, tuners, automatic
tuners and the rest - another comment.

Take a fishing reel full of the Wireman's Flex weave (no doubt this
will provoke comments about wire corrosion) and drive it. Use your
hoist to pull out the correct height for any band.

I do take note of your admonition about fumbling with knobs, dials,
switches when a rogue wave is overtaking you. Your knottage may vary.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old December 10th 04, 12:09 AM
John - G0WPA

Not a bad idea, if Wireman's Flex Weave is stainless steel. Anything
else will be corroded before you know it. Perhaps stainless steel
aircraft cable?

Absolutely. Replace your 50 feet of copper with stainless steel wire. Mount it
carefully and you'll get 10 years out of that. Keep the tuner. Its one thing to
have resonant lengths or traps on the harmonically related ham bands but
someday, when the swell is 25 foot in a force 9 and your drifting towards
rocks, being able to instantly tune and call on 2182Khz or one of the higher
distress freqs may very well save your life, believe me, Im a lifeboat man.
But, taking others views on board, as part of your regular planned maintenance
(you do that dont you?), take the lid off your transciever AND tuner to check
for corrosion, youll recognise it as white flaky stuff where the shiny bits
were last year! Other than that, your tuner is no more likely to breakdown than
anything else on your boat.

John, G0WPA

Old December 10th 04, 02:22 AM

"John - G0WPA" wrote in message
snip

Im a lifeboat man.

Oh if only I had your fortitude and courage.
Storms around the U.K.rocky shores require special men
who have no thoughts of mortality
Cheers
Art

Bsnip anything else on your boat.