RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Tuner (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2709-antenna-tuner.html)

[email protected] December 9th 04 06:25 PM

Antenna Tuner

Hi
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of an ATU that places a 1:1 balun on
the input side, like the Palstar AT4K does? I like that tuner, but it
is a bit pricey. Just wondering who the competitors are, if any.
Thanks

Bob Miller December 9th 04 07:28 PM

On 9 Dec 2004 10:25:13 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of an ATU that places a 1:1 balun on
the input side, like the Palstar AT4K does? I like that tuner, but it
is a bit pricey. Just wondering who the competitors are, if any.
Thanks

You could make your own 1:1 balun for a few bucks, and place it on
either side of the tuner. See W2DU's article:

http://home.iag.net/~w2du/Reflection...nProblem. pdf

bob
k5qwg

pfriedmanNoSpam December 9th 04 07:49 PM

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On 9 Dec 2004 10:25:13 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of an ATU that places a 1:1 balun on
the input side, like the Palstar AT4K does? I like that tuner, but it
is a bit pricey. Just wondering who the competitors are, if any.
Thanks

You could make your own 1:1 balun for a few bucks, and place it on
either side of the tuner. See W2DU's article:

http://home.iag.net/~w2du/Reflection...nProblem. pdf

bob
k5qwg

Nice article. I guess QST used have technical articles, eh? :)

Paul AB0SI

[email protected] December 10th 04 12:31 AM

Yes, thank you..I have been thinking about modifying an existing tuner
with the balun on the output. The problem is that ALL components must
be isolated from ground. I suppose I could pull that off, but it is
not as simple as you might think, especially with a tuner that uses a
tapped inductor in a T match. I t would probably be easier to float a
roller inductor than a tapped inductor because of the switch. The
caps are usually above ground already in a T match, so thats not a
problem. I'm thinking about it, but it would be nice if there was a
good affordable balanced tuner out there.
Jim

denton December 10th 04 01:32 AM

As a ham of over 25 years experience and most of those using a ladder line
fed 80 meter doublet, I would highly recommend procuring an old Johnson
Matchbox. These units were made back in the '50s, very well made and will
match on all bands, except 30 meters, from 80 thru 10 meters.
They are a link coupled transmatch, made excusively for use with ladder line
or twin lead.
There are a lot of them advertised on eBay.

ups.com...

J. Mc Laughlin December 10th 04 02:04 AM

MFJ has at least a couple of "balanced" devices that place a choke type
balun on the transmitter side of the device. As I recall, MFJ uses a piece
of coax with Teflon dielectric that is surrounded with unknown material.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
ups.com...

Jon December 13th 04 11:30 AM

Jim

MFJ have a balanced line tuner out, my friend has one and says it's
great. I have built several Z-Match tuners and swear my them, they are
easy to make if you can get the parts. It depends what sort of power you
intend to run. Linear Amp UK make a high power balanced line tuner, you
can find thier website he http://www.lauk.karoo.net/

Jon G2FHF

[email protected] December 13th 04 12:11 PM

Hello
Thank you for that link..I was not aware of those products!..Maybe I
should subscribe to the RSGB magazine, Hi .
I don't like MFJ products and the Palstars are very expensive. I will
seriously look at the Linear Amp products.
Do you have any experience with them, or know where I can get a product
review?
Thanks!

[email protected] December 13th 04 12:12 PM

Hello
Yes I am aware of the Matchbox, having been licensed since 1964. In
those days the Matchbox was still "new", Hi .
They have a limited matching range. They can work great on some
antennas and bands, and not at all on others.
Jimn

Bob Miller December 13th 04 06:24 PM

On 13 Dec 2004 04:11:07 -0800, "
wrote:

Hello
Thank you for that link..I was not aware of those products!..Maybe I
should subscribe to the RSGB magazine, Hi .
I don't like MFJ products and the Palstars are very expensive. I will
seriously look at the Linear Amp products.
Do you have any experience with them, or know where I can get a product
review?
Thanks!

I think you're going to have to make a choice between mfj products
with "okay" components and reasonable prices, versus much higher
prices for a Palstar (or Linear Amp) tuner with deluxe components like
they used in the old days. There's not much in between.

FWIW, my "wretched" mfj 989c T-type tuner easily gives a 1:1 match on
an 80 meter-w/ladderline dipole on all bands between 80 & 10 meters.
Mfj also makes a couple of balanced-line tuners, one in the $200
range, and the other in the $500 range.

THe only alternative I know, Ten Tec sells their variable caps and
variable inductors that they use in their tuner as open stock items.
You could breadboard your own tuner with one of the easily obtainable
circuits on the internet for a balanced design. (Do a Google on
Richard Measures.)

Surplus Sales of Nebraska also has a plethora of variable caps &
inductors...

bob
k5qwg