RadioBanter

-   -   Ferrite loaded vertical antenna??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2749-ferrite-loaded-vertical-antenna.html)

Jim December 18th 04 04:25 AM

Ferrite loaded vertical antenna???

I was thinking the other day.. I know that can be dangerous at times, but
this is waht I came up with...

For VLF and LF receiving, wind some wire around a ferrite rod. Place the
rod vertically and feed at the bottom with coax. Of course there would have
to be a good ground connection.

Would there be any advantage of this compared to a short vertical antenna?

Yes, yes, I know...'everbody' uses loop antennas for VLF.

Jim

[email protected] December 18th 04 06:31 AM

Jim wrote:
I was thinking the other day.. I know that can be dangerous at times, but
this is waht I came up with...

For VLF and LF receiving, wind some wire around a ferrite rod. Place the
rod vertically and feed at the bottom with coax. Of course there would have
to be a good ground connection.

Would there be any advantage of this compared to a short vertical antenna?

Yes, yes, I know...'everbody' uses loop antennas for VLF.

Jim

Wouldn't it be easier to use it horizontally as a conventional loop to
eliminate the ground and take advantage of the peak/null characteristics?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

Jim December 18th 04 12:25 PM

wrote in message
Jim wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to use it horizontally as a conventional loop to
eliminate the ground and take advantage of the peak/null characteristics?

Ah, yes. One of the responses I expected.

The null from a loop is very sharp, and is good for nulling out an
interfering signal, but what about improving the S/N of the desired signal?

My idea, was to use it in combination with a 'conventional' loop. This will
produce a 'one sided' pattern reducing the noise by as much as 3 dB. This is
typically called a sense antenna.

Jim