Old January 2nd 05, 09:41 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roy Lewallen wrote:

wrote:
Nice looking installation but how will you mow the lawn next spring
when the grass grows up thru your radial farm? Without the mower eating
the radials?? I'd bury the things and forget them but I'm curious about
how you plan to solve the problem.

I've laid radials out over a lawn a number of times. The grass roots
grow right over them in a short time, and the radials just disappear.
No problems mowing. I do staple them down with pieces of electric fence
wire bent into a U shape, to keep them down against the ground until
the grass grows over them.

But this is an exceptionally good area for growing grass -- grass seed
is the largest agricultural crop around here.

The key question seems to be: Where you live, which is harder - growing
a lawn, or mowing it?

If your lawn seems to grow faster than you can mow it, you can safely
lay the radials on top... and then let the grass do all the hard work.

Some years ago, a friend laid a radial system of 1in wide metal strips,
simply stapled down onto his flat, dense English lawn. Within a year,
you couldn't see the strips from any distance away. After about five
years they were completely covered.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old January 2nd 05, 07:18 PM
Irv Finkleman

Roy Lewallen wrote:

I've laid radials out over a lawn a number of times. The grass roots
grow right over them in a short time, and the radials just disappear. No
problems mowing. I do staple them down with pieces of electric fence
wire bent into a U shape, to keep them down against the ground until the
grass grows over them.

But this is an exceptionally good area for growing grass -- grass seed
is the largest agricultural crop around here.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Three years ago I laid some RG-213 in the grass across my back yard and into the shack.
It's
close enough to the ground that my mower doesn't touch it, and after one year
you couldn't even see it! It's about a 50 ft run and has stood up to two Alberta
winters with no signs of deterioration. I have also run radials in the grass and
was surprised at how fast they disappeared into the roots -- I didn't use any
staples -- too lazy!

Irv VE6BP
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001

Single ground Bill Ogden Antenna 26 November 25th 04 03:47 AM
Grounding for Vertical Question Mike Coslo Antenna 1 November 29th 03 07:36 PM