Old January 3rd 05, 11:37 AM
ml

Default balun at resonance?

hi

i've build a 80 center fed dipole, cut for 80, to use multiband-- fed
via coax.

my goal is to use a balun.

my recomendations so far have been for 1:1 /4:1 and 9:1, got nearly a
equal tally of votes on each

leaves me a bit confused however

lets say i use a 9:1 for example

on 80 my dipole is resonant, therefore should be around 72ohms. lets
presume it is

now w/a 9:1 attached what happens? is this my trade off, ie i become
very ineff at resonance while gaining some better match at the non
resonant points?

thanks

Old January 3rd 05, 02:41 PM
John Steffes

Too bad you couldn't use 300 ohm ladder line instead of coax. With the
addition of a antenna tuner and ladder line, you could eliminate the use
of the balun altogether and mathcing would not be a problem on any band
(well almost).

John

KE0GG

Old January 3rd 05, 02:57 PM
W9DMK

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:37:25 GMT, ml wrote:

hi

i've build a 80 center fed dipole, cut for 80, to use multiband-- fed
via coax.

my goal is to use a balun.

my recomendations so far have been for 1:1 /4:1 and 9:1, got nearly a
equal tally of votes on each

leaves me a bit confused however

lets say i use a 9:1 for example

on 80 my dipole is resonant, therefore should be around 72ohms. lets
presume it is

now w/a 9:1 attached what happens? is this my trade off, ie i become
very ineff at resonance while gaining some better match at the non
resonant points?

Permit me to ask a simple question. Aside from the transformation of
the impedance, what benefit were you planning to obtain from the
Balun? If you can't answer that question, then perhaps you don't
really need a Balun.

Another question, if you don't mind. Are you familiar with Choke
Baluns or the W2DU Balun?

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
Old January 3rd 05, 03:36 PM
Dave VanHorn

Permit me to ask a simple question. Aside from the transformation of
the impedance, what benefit were you planning to obtain from the
Balun? If you can't answer that question, then perhaps you don't
really need a Balun.

One would think that converting from a balanced antenna to unbalanced
feedline would be a primary benefit offered by a balun.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:14 PM
W9DMK

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:36:31 -0500, "Dave VanHorn"
wrote:

Permit me to ask a simple question. Aside from the transformation of
the impedance, what benefit were you planning to obtain from the
Balun? If you can't answer that question, then perhaps you don't
really need a Balun.

One would think that converting from a balanced antenna to unbalanced
feedline would be a primary benefit offered by a balun.

I'm perfectly aware of most of the reasons for using a balun. I'm
trying to uncover the motivation of the complainant.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk

Old January 3rd 05, 07:22 PM
John Steffes

Very clever design, Robert! Your system should provide gain at the
higher operationg frquencies as a bonus.

John

KE0GG

Old January 4th 05, 03:01 AM
ml

thank you for responding,

well, chaning the impedance, you mentioned i thought would be important,
as also i'd like to not have my 'shield' flowing w/rf

i've been told it might help reduce 'interference' not sure

however i fail to see how my ability or inablity to explain something
equates to 'needing' a particular part or not, hence why i want to
learn if i knew, all the ''angles' and aspects i wouldn't post

i am still missing the info i seek

Old January 4th 05, 05:03 AM
W9DMK

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 03:01:36 GMT, ml wrote:

thank you for responding,

well, chaning the impedance, you mentioned i thought would be important,
as also i'd like to not have my 'shield' flowing w/rf

That is exactly why I asked. Since you do not want RF on the outer
shield, then instead of a transformer type balun, you may find that
the choke balun or W2DU balun will better serve your needs. It is
designed specifically to reduce the flow of RF on the outer shield.

i've been told it might help reduce 'interference' not sure

Correct!

however i fail to see how my ability or inablity to explain something
equates to 'needing' a particular part or not, hence why i want to
learn if i knew, all the ''angles' and aspects i wouldn't post

i am still missing the info i seek

You were apparently disturbed by my question. However, it has been my
experience that it is very important to find out what is the real
problem, because it is only when you know the real problem you can
hope to find the best answer.

For example, someone asks for a recommendation for a good hammer, and
he gets hundreds of recommendations for good hammers - all different
and all good hammers for something, but none are the best answer for
his needs. Once it is discovered that what he really needs is a good
way to kill chickens - then we tell him to wring their necks.

Do you see my point?

It is truly a shame, but most people do not know how to seek help,
properly. They must forget their idea of a solution and define their
real problem. It is not a natural talent, but is certainly a valuable
one, which earns them better answers, quicker.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
Old January 3rd 05, 02:57 PM
Cecil Moore

ml wrote:
i've build a 80 center fed dipole, cut for 80, to use multiband--
fed via coax.

It is not a good idea to use a coax-fed 80m CFD on the other bands
because of losses due to SWR in the coax. Your balun problems are the
least of your worries. If you feed the 80m CFD with ladder-line, you
could use it on the other bands without suffering massive SWR losses.
For that configuration, all one needs is a 1:1 choke at the tuner. Take
a look at http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/notuner.htm for some ideas on your
antenna.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP