RadioBanter

-   -   Extending range of wireless motion sensor (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/347-extending-range-wireless-motion-sensor.html)

Ivan H August 31st 03 07:28 AM

Extending range of wireless motion sensor

I just bought a 400 ft wireless motion sensor and cannot get the
distance I want (big suprise :) ). Anyway, I have read a lot about
directional antenas as well as cantenna's on newsgroups and websites
when I was researching options for my home wireless network.

What I would like is a directional (beam) type antenna to see if I can
go the full 400+ feet I really need to go. Could a cantenna or
something of simular design work? I'm not an expert at radio or
electronics, but I can follow directions. Any other suggestions would
also be appreciated.

I have one of those 1000ft driveway sensors and could not get the
range. Hooking up the receiver to my old television antenna, which I
don't use anymore due to DISH, worked like a charm. I tried the same
idea and it seemed to work at first with a dipole antenna conntected
to the transmitter, but then stopped and never worked again. Not sure
why. It still works at shorter ranges.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

Ivan H August 31st 03 07:48 PM

Well, I did get it working with a different dipole. Now my problem is
when the antenna is connected to the motion sensor, it continuously
trips the motion sensor. If I unplug it, it only trips when it senses
motion. Could some sort of interference/noise received by the dipole
be causing the unit to trip all the time? How could I solve this?

I know my questions are not specifically related to amateur radios,
but I figured this would be the best place to find an answer as I am
dealing with signal transmission and antennas.

Cheers,
Ivan

Dan/W4NTI September 2nd 03 12:59 AM

Seems to me you are picking up too many signals and/or noise.

If unplugging the 'extra' antenna allows it to only trip when there is
motion.....is that not what you want?

Dan/W4NTI