RadioBanter

-   -   Slingshot method for hanging a wire antenna. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/401-slingshot-method-hanging-wire-antenna.html)

Walter September 10th 03 07:18 AM

Slingshot method for hanging a wire antenna.

Here is an article on how to cheaply and easily run a wire antenna
using a slingshot, and a fishing pole.

Martin September 11th 03 01:15 AM

"Walter" wrote in message
om...
Here is an article on how to cheaply and easily run a wire antenna
using a slingshot, and a fishing pole.

Amazing! Amazing, that is, that there has actually been a recent patent
issued
on the slingshot-spinning reel combination: U.S. 6,286,495; filed on
8/2/02!

I used this idea as far back as 1966, copied from other hams who used it
before I did. And in 1990 I built one identical to the one they're selling.
See the ad for EZ Hang on the www.qrz.com site.

Marty K1FHR

H. Adam Stevens September 11th 03 11:28 AM

a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Lloyd Mitchell September 11th 03 12:38 PM

Walmart:

One (1) 5.95 Slingshot
One (1) 3.95 or less if on sale, Cheap fishing reel with line
Two (2) (.39) Tiny radiator hose clamps
One Pack (1.99) 1oz. teardrop lead fishing weight
One (1) can Spray Orange Paint (to color lead weight)
One (1) Screwdriver (no cost...from my toolbox)

TADA !!! My version of EZ Hand....works just as good..

Mitch KD4HTW

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Walter September 11th 03 01:56 PM

the $100 price tag may reflect the money spent on filing the patent.

I've never used one, but I think I would prefer the fishing pole
method anyway. If for no other reason than it doesn't cost you so
much.

Jim Leder September 11th 03 02:08 PM

I've been using an old bow and arrow. The arrow has a rubber tip (used
for small game hunting). Tie some 20 lb. fishing line on the arrow and
fire away. If the arrow goes over too many unwanted branches on it's
way down, and it always does, I remove the arrow, tie on a fairly
large finger shaped fishing sinker and pull the sinker up and let it
drop back over the unwanted branches until I get it where I want it,
then let it drop. The rest is easy.

James September 15th 03 12:11 AM

Hi,

Save the paint, swipe some of my teen daughters nail polish with glitter !

worked great !

btw, some lawyer helped his kid file a patent for swinging sidweays on a
conventional
swingset !
he wanted to teach his kid how the process works.

73 jimbo

Lloyd wrote:

Walmart:

One (1) 5.95 Slingshot
One (1) 3.95 or less if on sale, Cheap fishing reel with line
Two (2) (.39) Tiny radiator hose clamps
One Pack (1.99) 1oz. teardrop lead fishing weight
One (1) can Spray Orange Paint (to color lead weight)
One (1) Screwdriver (no cost...from my toolbox)

TADA !!! My version of EZ Hand....works just as good..

Mitch KD4HTW

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Williams October 8th 03 03:28 AM

If I'd had a nickel for everything I invented, but never followed up on,
I'd be able to afford a new 1S4 for my QRP rig.

Over the years, there have been many variations on this theme and all
probably worked about the same. The good folks at EZ-Hang, took the
time to package the whole shooting match for those of us who were unable
to take the time to chase down the parts. I've had a "commercial" model
for a couple years and it works great! I chat with Mr. EZ-Hang from
time to time at HamFests, and usually end up getting a couple free
weights.

The latest addition is the "ground mounted line feeding gizmo" for
pulling the nylon line up with the mono filament line. That is also a
handy addition to the kit.

By the way, when the salesman tells you these thing work really, really
well from a "projectile" perspective and recommends that you practice a
few times in the wide open spaces until you figure out what the "lob"
is, take them at their word. Between Whamm-O and Zebco, this is a real
lead-slinger and it is nice to know what kind of an arch results from an
arm's length pull back. Once you get in the trees, it becomes a little
tougher to figure out where that yellow sinker is dropping down. On
occasion, I've resorted to tying on a short length of florescent pink
(or orange) surveyors tape, just in case.

NOTE: I have no connection with EZ-Hang, Whamm-O, Zebco, whoever makes
the sinkers, or the U.S. Patent Office, other than being a "Happy
Camper" customer.

73, Dave

Dave Williams - K7HMP/4
Stafford, Virginia