Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 4th 03, 08:52 PM
Ralph Mowery

Default Hy-Gain TH3

I picked up a used Hy-GAin TH3-MK3 and BN-86 balun used at a hamfest today
with the paper work. It had only been in use a short time and looked new.
I am a 30 year ham but most of my work has been weak signal on 144 and 432
mhz. This is my first beam for the DC bands. Most of my vhf/uhf beams are
broad enough to cover the whole band without a tuner. I noticed the beam
could be used with a home made coil of coax for a choke or the balun could
be used. Nothing new sofar. Then the balun says not to use the the balun
with a tuner because of high voltages causing arcing over. Still nothing
new. I am planning on running the nominal 100 watt rig and maybe later
getting an amp that will run about 600 watts out. I plan on mostly phone
and the upper end of the cw portion of 20 meters for the digital modes. I
am well awear of all the theory of baluns and chokes but what to people that
have used the beam and choke/ balun have to say. Do I use the coax choke,
use a ferrite current choke or the thing that HY-Gain supplies ? I don't
really care if the patern is off to one side or some of the more common
stories about radiating coax.

I can read theory all day but I would like to hear from people that have
used or seen the beam in use.

QST & Antenna Gain Al Lorona Antenna 8 October 1st 03 12:13 AM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit Dr. Slick Antenna 126 September 10th 03 04:26 PM
Hy Gain TH3 MK3 triband Beam Crazy George Antenna 0 August 26th 03 04:34 AM
80 m Dipole Dave Shrader Antenna 24 August 7th 03 02:50 AM