RadioBanter

-   -   Ladder Line or Coax For Reception only? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/542-ladder-line-coax-reception-only.html)

Walter October 5th 03 12:42 AM

Ladder Line or Coax For Reception only?

I have a 500 foot SkyWire Loop Antenna, about 30 feet off the ground
and I have it fed with Coax. I will only be using it to receive
Shortwave broadcasts from 2Mhz to 30Mhz. It will never be used to
transmit.

My questions are :

(1) Will using a Ladder Line instead of Coax improve my reception?

(2) If so, where do I change to coax? Or do I just run the Ladder line
into the house and straight to the receiver?

(3) What about electrical interference since the ladder line isn't
shielded?

Thanks.

Henry Kolesnik October 5th 03 05:53 PM

I'd use coax since it's easier to handle but ladder line will have less loss
but you won't be able to detect it. Twist the ladder line about a turn per
foot and any leadin pick up will be cancelled.
regards
hank wd5jfr
om...

Richard Clark October 5th 03 06:08 PM

On 4 Oct 2003 16:42:36 -0700, (Walter)
wrote:

Ladder Line or Coax For Reception only?

I have a 500 foot SkyWire Loop Antenna, about 30 feet off the ground
and I have it fed with Coax. I will only be using it to receive
Shortwave broadcasts from 2Mhz to 30Mhz. It will never be used to
transmit.

My questions are :

(1) Will using a Ladder Line instead of Coax improve my reception?

Unlikely.

(2) If so, where do I change to coax? Or do I just run the Ladder line
into the house and straight to the receiver?

This begs the question, does the receiver demand (match to) ladder
line?

(3) What about electrical interference since the ladder line isn't
shielded?

Hi Walter,

The last question raises the issue most closely associated with
positive achievement. Use coax with a 1:1 current BalUn at the
antenna feed point (or use the traditional air wound choke - same
thing but heavier/cheaper) and home noise (from any of many sources)
will be reduced IFF you suffer from this problem in the first place.
A modest home-built tuner will also go further to meeting positive
returns.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Nick C October 6th 03 12:34 AM

Walter, you have a 500ft loop?? Wow.. can you provide pictures at some
point? I'd love to see this in action. I'm using a 100ft longwire that is
end-fed at this point by a matching balun. I use RG8 low-loss coax. I'm
tempted to try the more expensive Belden 9913 -- but it's about $100/50ft.

Also, I know that the greater length of antenna will increase gain, but
isn't the noise gain almost as much? (i.e. does a greater length of wire
ensure greater reception?)

-Nick
n7zya

om...

Ralph Mowery October 6th 03 12:54 AM

Walter, you have a 500ft loop?? Wow.. can you provide pictures at some
point? I'd love to see this in action. I'm using a 100ft longwire that

is
end-fed at this point by a matching balun. I use RG8 low-loss coax. I'm
tempted to try the more expensive Belden 9913 -- but it's about $100/50ft.

For anything below 30 mhz you will see no return for the money by going from
a good grade of rg-8 to the 9913 type. It would be difficult to see much
differance even if the rg-8x is used. Especially at 20 meters and below.
You would be beter off spending the money on a beter antenna than the long
wire.
Or making the antenna higher.

Ralph Mowery October 6th 03 03:36 AM

Ralph, that's what I hear from other SWL'ers too. But, there are those
that
swear by it. So, it'd just be an interesting test... albeit and expensive
one... ;o)

For a cheaper expirment try adding about 30 feet of some rg-8x or even rg-56
or 59 (I know 59 is 70 ohm coax but it does not mater for receiving) . That
will be about the same loss as you would gain if you switched out 100 feet
of rg-8 to the 9913. See if you can tell any differance.

Not because I wanted to see the differance but because I was replacing some
antennas. I replaced about 100 feet of old rg-8 with some new lmr400 and
could not tell any differance at 50 mhz. I know there is some but it is
light lighting a candle in the sun.. It is there but can not really tell
it.

Nick C October 6th 03 03:46 AM

Yea, I noticed that RS is promoting RG-6 'F' cable for their SW radios on
their web site. I was curious about this, so I check it's loss and it looks
on-par with RG-8x and is much more flexible. I might try that if I can find
a couple of F-PL259 adapters... it's really cheap coax.

-Nick

CW October 6th 03 04:14 AM

They swear by it because they don't want to admit they blew a wad of cash
for nothing. You didn't say how long your coax is but you infered about 50
feet. With that short of a length, no matter what you changed to you would
never notice a difference. Look up the numbers. Easy way to test. Take your
radio out to the base of the antenna. Run as short a piece of coax as you
can to your radio. See if you can tell any difference.

Howard October 6th 03 04:40 AM

I made the switch to RG6 a few years ago and am pleased; with the
reducer for RG8x you can go directly to a PL-259 without an adapter.
The loss at HF is negligible, it's less expensive than the RG-8 family
of cables and the receiver doesn't care that it's 75 ohms. If your
existing cable is working it isn't worth the effort to switch -however
in future installations it's an option worth serious consideration.

Howard