RadioBanter

-   -   RESONANT ANTENNAS (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/56-resonant-antennas.html)

JDer8745 July 14th 03 03:17 PM

RESONANT ANTENNAS

Howdy,

What's all this stuff about resonant antennas? Some great antenna designs do
not use a resonant length.

73 de Jack, K9CUN

Reg Edwards July 14th 03 04:12 PM

What's all this stuff about resonant antennas? Some great antenna designs
do
not use a resonant length.

All antenna 'systems' are resonant because they all present a resistive load
to the transmitter. QED.

Reg Edwards July 14th 03 06:19 PM

Very broadband antenna systems, such as log-periodics, are still resonant.
They are a collection of different-frequency resonant elements.

Another way of looking at it, a collection is broadband because as a whole
it has a very low resonant Q.

Resonant circuits have an effective Q or a collection of Q values even when
the impedance-frequency response is flat-topped. (As inside a double-tuned
455 KHz IF transformer can.)

At sufficiently high and sufficiently low frequencies the reactive component
of the input impedance always predominates.

The definition of resonance as being adjusted to present a resistive load to
the transmitter should not infringed.

Of course, it is quite possible to operate a transmitter with a non-resonant
load, ie., the load impedance having a reactive component in addition to the
essential resistive load. But if only for economic reasons this condition is
nearly always avoided.
----
Reg.

=======================================

"Dave Shrader" There's a world of difference between a resonant antenna
and a resonant
antenna system!!

BTW, is a Log Periodic Antenna, example Tennadyne T8, resonant across
the frequency range of 13.5 MHz to 30 MHz?? No tuning required on any
frequency between 13.5 and 30 MHz, and VSWR 1.7:1 across the range!

Deacon Dave, W1MCE
+ + +

W5DXP July 14th 03 06:45 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
All antenna 'systems' are resonant because they all present a resistive load
to the transmitter. QED.

Actually, when the transmitter circuitry folds back, it means that the
antenna system is not resonant. When I change bands with my screwdriver
and start tuning, my antenna system is certainly not resonant.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against

Roy Lewallen July 14th 03 07:20 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:
. . .
If the antenna is operated off-resonance, it still works but with less
vigor due to diminished current opposed by inherent reactance.
. . .

This is true only if no effort has been made to match the antenna to the
transmitter. If it's matched, it will have the same current and "vigor"
as a resonant antenna. Assuming negligible loss, if 100 watts is applied
to resonant and non-resonant antennas by any means, 100 watts will be
radiated from each.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

JGBOYLES July 14th 03 08:12 PM

What's all this stuff about resonant antennas? Some great antenna designs do
not use a resonant length.

73 de Jack, K9CUN

Hi Jack,
When you posed this same query back in June of 1999, (myth od the resonant
antenna) you got 193 responses. You trying to beat your own record?
That was about the time I happened upon this Newsgroup, I really enjoyed that
particular thread. I have gone back and re-read it a couple of times.
73 Gary N4AST

Richard Harrison July 14th 03 09:35 PM

Roy, W7EL wrote:
"This is true only if no effort has been made to match the antenna to
the transmitter."

It is true with every transmitter which occupies more than zero
bandwidth. Reactance is zero at one point in the frequency spectrum.
Off-resonance, an antenna system accepts less current than it does
exactly on resonance. But, the difference is usually less than 1 db.

I wrote that if the antenna is operated off-resonance (excited by a
frequency other than its resonant frequency) it works but with less
vigor etc.

If the antenna`s power factor has been externally corrected for some
frequency other than its natural resonant frequency, then it is
resonanat at a new frequency. Its vigor will not be subdued by inherent
reactance at the new resonant frequency.

When I said an antenna operated off-resonance works with less vigor, I
tried for a statement true with a solid rod without connections and in
free-space, a receiving antenna, and a transmitting antenna, all
operated at a frequency other than their resonant frequencies. All are
transmitting antennas because they all radiate when excited, no matter
how the excitation is delivered.

I think I succeeded in saying it correctly but failed in saying it well
if it was misunderstood.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Reg Edwards July 14th 03 11:01 PM

Actually, when the transmitter circuitry folds back, it means that the
antenna system is not resonant.

==================================

Wrong ! The antenna 'System' IS resonant, by definition, if it has a purely
resistive input impedance. If that interfering nuisance of your fold-back
circuit springs into action then it means the pure input resistance is
something other than 50 ohms. But it is still resonant.

Actually, in YOUR case, the antenna is NEVER resonant. You make sure the
antenna is NOT resonant by making the whole system resonant by varying the
length of your transmission line.
---
Reg,

W5DXP July 14th 03 11:17 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
Actually, when the transmitter circuitry folds back, it means that the
antenna system is not resonant.

==================================

Wrong ! The antenna 'System' IS resonant, by definition, if it has a purely
resistive input impedance. If that interfering nuisance of your fold-back
circuit springs into action then it means the pure input resistance is
something other than 50 ohms. But it is still resonant.

Reg, the chances of a foldback being caused by a resistive antenna is
about 1 in 360. Actually less than that because the transmitter will
not fold back between 25 ohms and 100 ohms.

JGBOYLES July 15th 03 12:12 AM

If that interfering nuisance of your fold-back
circuit springs into action then it means the pure input resistance is
something other than 50 ohms.

Hi Reg,
That foldback circuit is an interfering nuisance agreed, but it comes in
handy at times. My homebrew mobile antenna is difficult to keep tuned, much
less in one piece doing 100 km/hr down the US Interstate system. My HF
transceiver folds back if things are not right with the antenna system.
The fold back circuits tell me I need to do something with the mobile
antenna, before I smoke the final semiconductors in my rig. It doesn't tell me
what I need to do, I use other stuff for that. I used a couple of your
programs in the design of this beast, Thanks!
73 Gary N4AST

Helmut Wabnig July 15th 03 07:49 AM

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:01:59 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Actually, when the transmitter circuitry folds back, it means that the
antenna system is not resonant.

==================================

Wrong ! The antenna 'System' IS resonant, by definition, if it has a purely
resistive input impedance. If that interfering nuisance of your fold-back
circuit springs into action then it means the pure input resistance is
something other than 50 ohms. But it is still resonant.

Actually, in YOUR case, the antenna is NEVER resonant. You make sure the
antenna is NOT resonant by making the whole system resonant by varying the
length of your transmission line.
---

Hi Troll,
let's talk about measuring antenna impedance.

I have got a MFJ 269 which clearly shows that none
of my antennas is purely resistive, or resonant.

w.

Tdonaly July 15th 03 03:59 PM

Reg wrote,

Richard, thanks for the reminder.

Yes, the Beverage and other long-wire terminated antennas, although having
lots of L and C, exhibit (ideally) no signs of resonance yet have purely
constant vs frequency resistive feedpoint impedances.

They are all transmission lines which radiate because the spacing between
conductors is an appreciable fraction, or more, of a wavelength, one of the
conductors being whatever the local environment consists of.

Their equivalent lumped circuit networks come under a class of
'constant-resistance' networks commonly found in design of filters and
equalisers.

The most simple example of a constant-resistance network is a capacitor in
series with a resistor, both in parallel with an inductor in series with a
resistor. When all 4 components have the same value in ohms (R) then the
input resistance is a constant resistance R from DC to infinity.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Since the reactive components change reactance with frequency, Reg's network
may be a little hard to realize in practice. Try making the inductance equal
R^2*C Reg. You might have better luck. You also might want to review
Everitt's
take on this subject, starting on page 284 of the second edition of his book,
_Communication Engineering_. His ideas are quite enlightening.

73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Reg Edwards July 15th 03 07:40 PM

[...]

Tom, sorry to be so disappointing. My Little formula for calculating L and
C for the constant resistance network is quite correct.

When designing constant-resistance networks it is convenient to have a
design-frequency.

It can be the frequency at which I said Xc = Xl = R ohms.

So we can now calculate both L and C without prior knowledge of either of
them. After a little arithmetic it will be quite enlightening to discover ,
as you say, that L = C*R^2, but which is a less-convenient starting point.

In addition to a design frequency there can also be a design time constant.
---
Reg, G4FGQ

Tdonaly July 15th 03 09:36 PM

Reg wrote,

Tom, sorry to be so disappointing. My Little formula for calculating L and
C for the constant resistance network is quite correct.

Yes, of course, but misleading because it implies that all four components
have to have the "same value in ohms (R)." In fact, the input resistance will
be the same no matter what the value of the reactive components as long as
they obey the requirement that L/C = R^2.

When designing constant-resistance networks it is convenient to have a
design-frequency.

Convenient, but not necessary to show that constant resistance networks exist.

It can be the frequency at which I said Xc = Xl = R ohms.

It can, indeed, or any other frequency for that matter.

So we can now calculate both L and C without prior knowledge of either of
them. After a little arithmetic it will be quite enlightening to discover ,
as you say, that L = C*R^2, but which is a less-convenient starting point.

Perfectly true, but what are you ultimately after?

In addition to a design frequency there can also be a design time constant.

Indeed.

---
Reg, G4FGQ

Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Reg Edwards July 15th 03 10:34 PM

Perfectly true, but what are you ultimately after?

=======================

Beyond getting back to the subject matter - nothing!

Richard Harrison July 17th 03 07:48 PM

Jack, K9CUN wrote:
"I have referred to my various engineering texts on antennas and
transmission lines and can not find any discussion of antenna "vigor"."

I did not copy my statement. Vigor is defined in my "American College
Dictionary as: "1. active strength or force---".

A rod in free space becomes excited and accepts energy, which it must
re-radiate, when it is swept by a passing wave of its resonant
frequency. Its first resonance is near a 1/2-wavelength. At frequencies
slightly off-resonance, little current flows in the rod due to the
opposition of its reactance.

You may have seen a mechanical analogy in the vibrating reed frequency
meter.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dave Shrader July 17th 03 08:35 PM

Is that as in: "Oomph, oomph, omphpapa"? Oh! My poor tuba!!

Deacon Dave :-), W1MCE

Roy Lewallen wrote:
The correct technical term for this is "oomph".

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

JDer8745 wrote:

Someone sed:

"I wrote that if the antenna is operated off-resonance (excited by a
frequency other than its resonant frequency) it works but with less
vigor etc."

------------------------------------

I have referred to my various engineering texts on antennas ans
transmission
lines and can not find any discussion of antenna "vigor".
Jack K9CUN

Yuri Blanarovich July 17th 03 10:08 PM

I have referred to my various engineering texts on antennas ans transmission
lines and can not find any discussion of antenna "vigor".

Jack K9CUN

It is Viagora, it makes all antennas resonanted and transmission lines SWRless.
Add some Fractals, CFAs, EH?

Bada BUm

JDer8745 July 18th 03 07:42 PM

Vigor is defined in my "American College
Dictionary as: "1. active strength or force---"

--------------------

What is the "strength" of an antenna?

What is the "force" of an antenna?

Is it the same as the "oomph"?

73 de Jack, K9CUN

Richard Clark July 18th 03 07:47 PM

On 18 Jul 2003 18:42:00 GMT, (JDer8745) wrote:

Vigor is defined in my "American College
Dictionary as: "1. active strength or force---"

--------------------

What is the "strength" of an antenna?

What is the "force" of an antenna?

Is it the same as the "oomph"?

73 de Jack, K9CUN

Hi Jack,

Strength is often associated with potential (Volts being common here).

Force is more often associated with power (by virtue of Newton, Watts
being common here).

oomph is what an old fart mutters as he stirs uncomfortably in his
chair while avoiding a bench test of his mental gymnastics.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

JDer8745 July 20th 03 12:58 AM

Units of force do not include Watts.

Units of force are such things as Newtons, dynes, poundals, pounds, etc.

Jack (who exerts a force of many pounds on this chair)

73

JDer8745 July 21st 03 07:26 PM

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"All antenna "systems" are resonant because they present a resistive
load to the transmitter. QED."

===========================

But...is an antenna "system" (undefined) the same as an antenna?

Methinks an antenna is just one part of an antenna "system" and that it doesn't
need to be resonant.

73 de Jack, K9CUN

David Robbins July 21st 03 10:07 PM

Methinks an antenna is just one part of an antenna "system" and that it
doesn't
need to be resonant.

and you are basically correct. an antenna is 'resonant' at only specific
frequencies, even a small bit away from those frequencies it goes out of
resonance but performance is virtually unchanged... if this weren't true the
venerable 1/2 wave dipole and 1/4 wave verticals would only work on a single
frequency... so we know from experience that you don't have to have an
exactly resonant antenna.

note above i said 'frequencies'. this is to account of course for the
resonances at multiples of the lowest resonant frequency.

likewise you can operate an antenna well away from it's resonances and it
will still 'work'... theoretically an infinitely small dipole will radiate a
field only a couple db weaker than a 1/2 wave dipole in free space... with
the difference being that the 1/2 wave dipole changes the shape of the
doughnut a bit, thus creating stronger fields in some directions and weaker
ones in other directions. keep raising the frequency so that an antenna is
longer and longer as measured in wavelengths and the pattern of these fields
changes, but the total radiated power remains the same... so you can say
that any antenna 'works' at any frequency and be correct.

The kicker comes when you start considering the whole system. while any
antenna will radiate whatever power you get into it (minus a bit for
resistance of the elements that gets lost as heat), the problem can be
getting that power to go into it in the first place. this is where the
'resonant' antenna does help out. at resonance an antenna presents a purely
resistive impedance to the feed line, generally this is a relatively easy
load to push power into.... except of course in extreme cases of very low or
very high impedances. as such it simplifies the requirements for the
feedline and transmitter.

if a transmitter doesn't have to handle highly reactive loads, or extremely
high or low impedances, it can be made much simpler and from easier to build
or buy parts. if you have to design a transmitter to power a highly
reactive load you have to be able to handle higher voltages or currents...
higher voltages mean wider capacitor spacings, more insulation, and higher
dielectric losses.. higher currents mean thicker conductors or expensive
plating to lower resistance, and higher resistive losses.. both of those
losses mean that in order to create the same radiated field intensity you
need to generate more power in the transmitter to get it through the feed
system to the antenna where it can be radiate. so while the antenna will
radiate whatever you can give it, just getting it there in the first place
can be a chore.

Art Unwin KB9MZ July 22nd 03 03:23 AM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message ...
What's all this stuff about resonant antennas? Some great antenna designs

do
not use a resonant length.

All antenna 'systems' are resonant because they all present a resistive load
to the transmitter. QED.

I suppose I am being picky Reg but shouldn't resonance be defined as
"totally" resistive load. An antenna can only be 'resonant' at one
point or frequency because movement from this point collects
reactance.
Fortunately it still has a 'resistive' component load which is the
PRIME requisite for radiation, whereas 'resonance' is not.
With the above being fully understood by newcomers a lot of the
mystery about 'antennas' and 'antenna systems' falls aside.
Cheers
Art

W5DXP July 22nd 03 05:10 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Here is your answer Cecil. Resistor that radiates.

If, as Jim says, an RF wave is not destroyed by being dissipated
in a resistor dummy load, it has to radiate - yes? no?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Reg Edwards July 22nd 03 06:11 AM

Reg Edwards wrote:
It is only necessary that the load presented to the transmitter should

be a
pure (or near enough) resistance of the required value. Which is usually

50
ohms.

My SGC-500 amp says it will handle an SWR of 6:1 just fine.
If that is true, it means it will handle any impedance on
or inside a 6:1 circle on a 50 ohm Smith Chart. The great
majority of those impedances are not resistive.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

================================

Dear Talking SGC-500,

Why do think I took the precaution of qualifying my statement with "or near
enough" ?

By the way, you would be most unhappy if your Tuned-tank or Pi-tank output
circuit didn't present your plate(s) with a near-enough purely resistive
load of the correct value. And would you mind asking your slave driver to
stop cheating with the aid of his 19th Century Smith Chart, please.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Dave Shrader July 22nd 03 11:30 AM

I was taught that the Smith CHart is a twentieth [20th] century 'tool'.

BTW, it's not cheating! When I took my final exam in transmission lines
Professor James Kirwin allowed, and even provided, Smith Charts for
student use.

DD, W1MCE

[SNIPPED]

Yuri Blanarovich July 22nd 03 04:30 PM

Oh Yuri!! All resistors in any circuit radiate EM energy!

DD, W1MCE

....and cause SWR. Can you picture little, unmatched radiating resistor in the
circuit? Live and learn eh?
I thought they ate the RF without passing any to our precious environment. What
me dummy!
But I think we should start new thread or threat on how much resistor,
capacitor or asamatteroffact anything radiates, how the SWR affects this
un/desired property, what the photons and black holes do about it and how to
magnify this effect so we can beat the record on number of postings.
Back to my no SWR feedlines.

Bada Fun BUm

W5DXP July 22nd 03 06:15 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Oh Yuri!! All resistors in any circuit radiate EM energy!

...and cause SWR. Can you picture little, unmatched radiating resistor in the
circuit? Live and learn eh?
I thought they ate the RF without passing any to our precious environment.

They do eat RF without passing more than a negligible amount to our
environment. But they also convert the energy from RF energy to radiated
heat which is just as much of an EM wave as the RF wave was. The old
RF wave is destroyed but since the energy in that RF wave cannot be
destroyed, it must be converted. In this case it is converted to
an infrared wavelength.

The way to keep a resistor from radiating heat is to enclose it in
a heat sink in which case the heat sink probably radiates heat as
well as conducts heat.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yuri Blanarovich July 22nd 03 06:38 PM

I thought they ate the RF without passing any to our precious environment.

That was cheeque in tongue.

Enough! Bye!

Reg Edwards July 22nd 03 08:12 PM

Transmission lines with high SWR are amongst the most useful of radio
components. We couldn't do without them.

W5DXP July 22nd 03 09:45 PM

Dave Shrader wrote:
Cecil, you are sharp!!

:-) Why do you think I draw so much flak? :-) I agree with Albert.

W5DXP July 23rd 03 07:55 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
If, as Jim says, an RF wave is not destroyed by being dissipated
in a resistor dummy load, it has to radiate - yes? no?

It should have been fairly obvious to most that's NOT what I was
saying.

You said "Waves cannot be destroyed". I quoted Hecht saying that waves
can be created and destroyed. Please tell us again that, "RF waves
are not destroyed by a dummy load." When you come to understand that
EM waves can be destroyed but the energy in those waves cannot be
destroyed you will begin to understand EM physics.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley July 23rd 03 08:23 PM

W5DXP wrote:
You said "Waves cannot be destroyed".

A google seach says you're wrong. The only hits for 'cannot be
destroyed'
are by an author named Cecil Moore.

jk

W5DXP July 23rd 03 09:44 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

W5DXP wrote:

You said "Waves cannot be destroyed".

A google seach says you're wrong. The only hits for 'cannot be
destroyed' are by an author named Cecil Moore.

Try "cease to exist". Here's what you said. Read it and weep.

Waves cannot just "cease to exist" for the very same reason that
energy cannot cease to exist.

"Ceasing to exist" and "being destroyed" are identical events. Waves
that are destroyed cease to exist. Waves that cease to exist must,
of necessity, be destroyed. So where did you learn your ethics? At
the rattlesnake farm?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

JDer8745 July 29th 03 05:28 PM

No it doesn't need to be matched to the line!

They often aren't.

Jack K9CUN

Mark Keith July 30th 03 06:06 AM

(JDer8745) wrote in message ...
No it doesn't need to be matched to the line!

They often aren't.

Jack K9CUN

Well, doesn't have to be, but if you are using coax , it should be to
reduce feedline losses. Would be a concern the higher in freq you go.
I'd never run a severe mismatch on VHF or higher unless the line was a
low loss ladder line. But I rarely use ladder line on VHF... I do run
mismatches on HF at times, usually on the warc bands using my 80/40/20
parallel dipoles fed with the tuner, but I am taking a hit with some
feedline loss. Good ladder line is low enough loss, even with a large
mismatch, you don't really have to be matched. 85% of the antennas I
use are coax fed, so it's more important to me than it might be to
others using ladder lines. MK