RadioBanter

-   -   Opinions on Yaesu "ATAS" Mobile Antenna? (from experienced users, please) (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/606-opinions-yaesu-%22atas%22-mobile-antenna-experienced-users-please.html)

Carl R. Stevenson October 16th 03 02:50 AM

Opinions on Yaesu "ATAS" Mobile Antenna? (from experienced users, please)

I would appreciate experience-based opinions on the quality,
durability, effectiveness, and convenience of Yaesu's ATAS-100
and ATAS-120 auto-tune multiband antenna system.

I am about to make some decisions on a new mobile installation
and am looking at the Yaesu FT-857 ... which supports the ATAS
system.

There is also a third-party controller from W4RT which claims
to make any "screwdriver" type antenna compatible with the
ATAS functions in the Yaesu FT-847, 857, and 897 ...

The Yaesu antenna does not require an intermediate controller,
but I'm curious as to folks' experience with it ...

73,
Carl - wk3c

Dave VanHorn October 16th 03 03:10 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message
I would appreciate experience-based opinions on the quality,
durability, effectiveness, and convenience of Yaesu's ATAS-100
and ATAS-120 auto-tune multiband antenna system.

I haven't used them, but I've examined an ATAS-100 directly. I was thinking
of buying it.
Looks pretty "inexpensive" relative to the other screwdrivers out there.
I didn't think it would hold up in use.
I have the 847.

So far, I haven't found my price/performance point.

There is also a third-party controller from W4RT which claims
to make any "screwdriver" type antenna compatible with the
ATAS functions in the Yaesu FT-847, 857, and 897 ...

Yaesu has an interesting system. Two voltages, one voltage says "go up" and
the other one says "go down". It's not complicated to decode :)