Old March 2nd 05, 04:35 PM
Richard Harrison

Asimov wrote:
"Let`s look at it from the dynamic point of view (loss in a Class A
amplifier)."

The no-signal loss of a Class A amplifier is 100%. It equals volts x
amps and appears in the amplifier. Now feed a signal to the ideal
amplifier set just below the clipping level. Average d-c power is
unchanged from the unloaded and no-signal conditions.

Connect a matched load resistor to the amplifier output. If physically
small, the resistor may become warm with heat that were it not for the
load would be otherwise dissipated in the amplifier. Input power to the
Class A amplifier is unchanging.

Finding the internal resistance theoretically is simple. It is simply
the open-circuit output voltage divided by the short-circuit current.

Open-circuit voltage at full output and short-circuit current may be
severe. Internal resistance can be found under less stressful
conditions. Internal resistance will drop the voltage to any load
reasistance. Use the voltage-divider formula to calculate the internal
resistance.

With pure resistances, half the open-circuit volts are dropped by the
internal resistance when the load is a match.

A power amplifier`s internal impedance can be determined.

Power output from a Class A amplifier cools it.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 3rd 05, 12:28 AM
Reg Edwards

Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

At present I have no facilities to make such measurements.

Perhaps a few curious readers, who do have facilities, might make crude
measurements on their HF rigs and report approximate impedance values on one
or two bands on this newsgroup. Some sort of average could be obtained.
----
Reg, G4FGQ
===================================

Old March 3rd 05, 02:19 AM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 3rd 05, 02:52 AM
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier
sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.

Some of Motorola's devices might actually be able to stand
Reg's little test. The MRF150, for instance is advertised as
being able to withstand a 30:1 VSWR at all phase angles. I
think Reg should offer to pay for any damage sustained as the
result of this test.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old March 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
Reg Edwards

Reg Edwards wrote:
Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier

sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.
--
73, Cecil

==============================
Cecil,
Presumably you hadn't heard of Ohms Law.

The internal resistance of a generator is independent of its internal
voltage. Just reduce the drive level to some small, no particular value,
and stop making excuses.

( Somebody will say it IS dependent. But we are interested only in
ball-park accuracy. And in any case the operating point will be within the
normal range of operation between no-drive and full drive, or between no
modulation and full modulation.)
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old March 3rd 05, 01:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
The internal resistance of a generator is independent of its internal
voltage. Just reduce the drive level to some small, no particular value,
and stop making excuses.

( Somebody will say it IS dependent. But we are interested only in
ball-park accuracy. And in any case the operating point will be within the
normal range of operation between no-drive and full drive, or between no
modulation and full modulation.)

That might work better for Class-AB than Class-C. If one
reduces drive level on a Class-C, one is reducing the 'on'
time of the device, thus changing the internal impedance
probably somewhat inversely proportional to the 'on' time.

If I remember correctly, my IC-706 would not fold back
under any load condition when run at minimum power.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 3rd 05, 01:59 PM
Richard Harrison

Asimov wrote:
"I was confusing it with Class B which does warm up the heatsink"

True. Class B amplifiers can be single-ended for R-F if used with the
right tank circuit to supply the missing 1/2-cycle. More often they are
push-pull to reduce harmonics.

SSB final amplifiers are biased to near current cut-off. During
modulation gaps, current falls to nearly zero. When current is zero, so
is the dissipation.

Reg mentioned the blistering heat of the 6N7. Thai`s my recollection too
when getting nearly 10 watts of audio from the small twin-triode
octal-based metal tube. Reduce the audio volume and the heat is reduced
simultaneously.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI