Old March 2nd 05, 10:16 PM
Jim Miller

Default 450ohm Ladder Line Dimension and PVC

I'd like to run 450ohm windowline inside 1/2" vertical PVC conduit for
about 8 feet to minimize the chance of kids messing with it and getting
hurt.

The line would come in vertically upwards through two 90=B0 pulls which
have a removable plate on the corner, the first of which would have a
box adapter bushing to keep the 1/2" dimension. The second adapter
would fit to the top of the PVC. This should keep water intrusion out.

Another 90=B0 pull junction would be at the bottom where the line would
enter a PVC junction box housing the lightning arrestor and remote
tuner. A 5/8"x8' ground rod would be the support for the box to which
the arrestor and tuner would be bonded.

What's the edge to edge dimension on 450ohm line?

Anyone done this and experienced big losses?

Should I expect big losses?

This would make for a nice clean installation and relatively stealthy.

tnx
jtm

Old March 2nd 05, 10:50 PM
jimbo

The 450 ohm ladder line that I have is about 1 inch wide. Maybe you
mean TV lead line?

Good luck, jimbo

Jim Miller wrote:
[...]

=20
tnx
jtm

Old March 2nd 05, 11:12 PM

Jim Miller wrote:
I'd like to run 450ohm windowline inside 1/2" vertical PVC conduit

for
about 8 feet to minimize the chance of kids messing with it and

getting
hurt.
What's the edge to edge dimension on 450ohm line?
tnx
jtm

Hi Jim, The ladder line I have is .931 inches edge to edge. As such
I would not recommend trying to stuff it thru 8' of 1/2" PVC. I would
at least use 1", and even then you will have some compression of the
ladder line. Changing the spacing of ladder line will change its
characteristic impedance.
Thinking about it, if you force ladder line into 1/2" PVC you will
have to distort it into a "U" shape, and have a bad time trying to fish
it thru the PVC.
Gary N4AST

Old March 3rd 05, 12:07 AM
Jim Miller

Thanks for all the info. I'll switch to 1".

The reason I don't have the dimensions is that I'm new to AR and don't
have 450ohm in hand. I'm trying to figure out what to build for an
antenna including all the "make it pretty" details rather than trying
to do it over several times.

thanks again!

jtm