RadioBanter

-   -   Is PVC pipe UV resistant? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/65894-pvc-pipe-uv-resistant.html)

[email protected] March 4th 05 01:05 AM

Is PVC pipe UV resistant?

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

gb March 4th 05 02:30 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

It's not bad, some of the early stuff (1970's/1980s) for an installation --
it is a lighter shade of gray today.
The last batch that I purchased a couple of years ago was silk-screened
(yellow) on outside as being UV resistant.
http://www.jmpipe.com/electrical.html

Schedule 80 is thicker (and heavier) and rated for outdoor use (and
punishment).

This is from Carlon (a major electrical PVC conduit mfg.)

UV is an issue for all plastic products. Fortunately, there are additives
that are added to plastics to make the material UV resistance. Listed
Schedule 40 and 80 PVC conduit utilizes these additives and are UV
resistant. The sunlight resistance test is found in UL Standard UL651.
Listed product will have an indefinite life period.

Listed Schedule 40 and 80 Conduit have been used in Florida for years
including on rooftops. It is preferred along the coast because it is
corrosion resistant. When used in an exposed environment where there are
changes in temperatures please are sure to use enough expansion fittings.

Greg
w9gb

Cecil Moore March 4th 05 04:56 AM

wrote:
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant?

The white stuff is not UV resistant. I've had it become
brittle and useless in both AZ and TX.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

mr. pl259 March 4th 05 04:12 PM

Hi,
If you can use the grey pvc from electrical depts. that will last forever.

Allodoxaphobia March 4th 05 04:32 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:56:11 -0600, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant?

The white stuff is not UV resistant. I've had it become
brittle and useless in both AZ and TX.

Even more so - britllilier, uselesser, and faster - at 7,700' in Colorado!

73
Jonesy

Korbin Dallas March 13th 05 03:17 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

Clarence_A March 13th 05 04:25 PM

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV

resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from

this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was

wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been on my roof (in the
SUN) for over ten years. When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

RST Engineering March 13th 05 04:52 PM

"resistant" is hard to define. I have a j-pole made out of PVC that has
been on the roof for almost thirty years. I suppose at some time it will
fail, but probably not in my lifetime. I certainly wouldn't expect it to
have the same pressure and burst characteristics if I was using it with
water pressure, but it seems to hold up well as an antenna structure.

My company has been making vertical dipoles using Schedule 40 PVC as the
"radome" for nearly twenty years, and as yet, not a single reported field
failure.

Jim

Wes Stewart March 13th 05 10:48 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:25:06 GMT, "Clarence_A" wrote:

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:05:53 -0800, wrote:

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV

resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from

this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection, but I was

wondering
if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been on my roof (in the
SUN) for over ten years. When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

As soon as you bring it down to AZ. I have a 120' run of 2" grey PVC
from the house to the tower. It's mostly above ground with a stake
and clamp every 10'. It looks like a snake, the top side turns color
and it's cracked in a couple of places.

Clarence_A March 14th 05 02:46 AM

"Justín Käse" wrote
Clarence_A wrote
"Korbin Dallas" wrote
wrote:

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV
resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from
this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection,
but I was wondering if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been
on my roof (in the SUN) for over ten years.
When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

At some future next time when a gusty wind applies
enough vibration to cause the brittle case to stress
fracture and crumble.
Note* - Gusty winds are often accompanied by
precipitation which will give your newly exposed
antenna a good soaking.
-- JK

Can't tell what you are trying to say.
I live in California in an area where we get 70 to 90 MPH winds
several times a year, sometimes the (water proof) PVC gets rained
on, but not much (11 to 36 inches a year. Sun for about 325 Days
a year. Still see no damage of any sort. I do not however expect
it to last forever, but then neither will I!

BTW: the antenna is Aluminum wire and the water would not damage
it either, but then I can't hang the wire out in the wind! It is
just several strands of #15 electric fence wire. (Four per
element.)