RadioBanter

-   -   physical 1/4, electrical 1/2 wavelength (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/67279-physical-1-4-electrical-1-2-wavelength.html)

[email protected] March 28th 05 02:09 AM

Asimov wrote:
We are in 2005 now and some geek in a broom closet is just about
to unleash a comparable cataclysmic change to our world and one

better
count on it!

I doubt it will have anything to do with antennas though..
And I doubt it will be a geek in a broom closet.
MK

Reg Edwards March 28th 05 03:02 AM

Albert Einstein was merely the first to realise what is obvious to
anybody who thinks about it.

What's all the fuss about for the last 100 years?

Asimov March 28th 05 04:43 AM

" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Mar 05 17:09:16)
--- on the heady topic of " physical 1/4, electrical 1/2 wavelength"

nm From:
nm Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:27403

nm Asimov wrote:
some geek in a broom closet is just about
to unleash a comparable cataclysmic change to our world and

nm I doubt it will have anything to do with antennas though..
nm And I doubt it will be a geek in a broom closet.

It's numbingly comforting to doubt but science isn't a religion.
Not to be a contrarian but it might have to do with antennas.
We can't tell the future, I can only influence it a bit by action.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... The World is run by those who show up.

Richard Clark March 28th 05 07:29 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:02:55 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Albert Einstein was merely the first to realise what is obvious to
anybody who thinks about it.

What's all the fuss about for the last 100 years?

Hi Reg,

No one else wrote it down. Sure you can "think about it," but if you
keep dialing the same number to talk to Mum and you get chinese
take-out, then "thinking about it" is not all that it is cracked up to
be.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore March 28th 05 04:32 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
Albert Einstein was merely the first to realise what is obvious to
anybody who thinks about it.

Some things that Albert Einstein said sound a lot like Art.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he
learned in school."

"All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and
childlike ..."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and
Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities."

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my
contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the
spinal cord would surely suffice."
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley March 29th 05 07:44 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Anyone want to
predict the effect of non-locality on Maxwell's equations?

How better to explain interference phenomena at, "Alpha Centauri" for
example? :-)

ac6xg

Cecil Moore March 30th 05 12:38 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Anyone want to
predict the effect of non-locality on Maxwell's equations?

How better to explain interference phenomena at, "Alpha Centauri" for
example? :-)

How better indeed? As I remember, it was Dr. Best's assertion
that the source always provided the extra energy during construc-
tive interference (no matter how far away the source might be).
I, OTOH, tend to believe "Optics", by Hecht where he asserts
that there must always be an energy balance between constructive
interference and destructive interference (as demonstrated by
the radiation pattern of an antenna).
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley March 30th 05 12:49 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Anyone want to
predict the effect of non-locality on Maxwell's equations?

How better to explain interference phenomena at, "Alpha Centauri" for
example? :-)

How better indeed? As I remember, it was Dr. Best's assertion
that the source always provided the extra energy during construc-
tive interference (no matter how far away the source might be).
I, OTOH, tend to believe "Optics", by Hecht where he asserts
that there must always be an energy balance between constructive
interference and destructive interference (as demonstrated by
the radiation pattern of an antenna).

It's certainly correct in almost any instance to say that the source of
energy provides the energy. Not necessarily so of other points in
space. And only rarely do we find any "extra" energy in physical
systems. ;-)

ac6xg

John Smith March 31st 05 10:33 PM

"Free Energy" is indeed hard to find...
However, consider an antenna made of a superconducting material--it would at
least be impossible to lose any (at least due to resistance and heating!)

Regards

--
Hay, if'n ya'll cun't konstructivly partecipete in this har disscusion, haw
aboot speel-checkin it fer me?

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message

Jim Kelley March 31st 05 10:53 PM

John Smith wrote:

"Free Energy" is indeed hard to find...
However, consider an antenna made of a superconducting material--it would at
least be impossible to lose any (at least due to resistance and heating!)

Regards

Yea, but it's a real pain having to haul the liquid helium dewar up the
tower in the middle of a dx opening.

ac6xg