Old October 30th 03, 03:10 AM
Twistedhed

Default Freeband Antenna Help

I need an antenna that will get me on the channels above 27.3. My Galaxy
goes to 32 mhz.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Article poste via Voila News -
http://www.news.voila.fr
Le : Thu Oct 30 04:10:27 2003 depuis l'IP : ac8d51fc.ipt.aol.com [VIP 532284301978]
Old October 30th 03, 04:56 AM
Bob

Shorten the one you have in proportion to the frequency change...?

The possibilities are endless. You have to ask what kind of propogation you
want, directivity and so on. In my experience a single simple antenna wont
cover that range without retuning. You could of course make a big broadband
thing but that gets a little complex! If you just want it to "work" get an
ATU.

Cheers Bob

Old October 30th 03, 08:10 PM
Bill VanAlstyne

I think your meter is out of calibration, Steve. Mine
registered a solid 9.9. ;-)
Bill / W5WVO

Old October 30th 03, 10:46 PM
Dave Platt

I need an antenna that will get me on the channels above 27.3. My Galaxy
goes to 32 mhz.

Simply shorten your coax 2.01734695436248538129 feet.

An even easier method for achieving a similar result is to simply
modify the coax cable a bit, so as to change the dielectric constant
of a small length of the cable's internal insulation. This generates
an impedance "bump" which acts as a short matching section, tuning out
the higher SWR which results if you try to "push" an antenna beyond
its normal resonant frequency range.

The DC can best be modified by displacing a small amount of the
insulation to the side. Simply measure back along the cable from the
antenna approximately 1/4 electrical wavelength, and then drive a
small nail straight through the center of the coax - it must penetrate
the center conductor, and (ideally) the braid/shield on both sides of
the cable. Typically, a 1-penny nail is of the correct length and
diameter. For small-diameter cable, try a carpet tack.

Test the freeband transmitter's SWR and see how well it transmits.
You might find it necessary to adjust the cable at several points, a
few inches on either side of the quarter-wave-away-from-the-antenna
point to get the best match.

I have not actually tested this procedure with a Galaxy radio - your
results may differ, and (as with any homebrew electronics or antenna
modifications) they're done entirely at your own risk.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old October 31st 03, 01:13 PM
Dave Shrader

In the USA it is a violation of Federal Law to operate on frequencies
outside the authorized 11 meter Citizen's Band.

Be advised that all frequencies between 28.000 and 29.700 MHz are
reserved internationally, worldwide, for communication ONLY by licensed
operators and licensed stations.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Old October 31st 03, 07:40 PM
Bob

Interesting how mostly you made personal judgments and gave mis-information
rather than answer the question. You must all be mind readers to get that
from a dozen or so words.

No wonder the world is such an unhappy place.. I wonder who makes it that
way?

Old October 31st 03, 07:51 PM
CW

It is not up to individuals to decide what laws to obey. The majority of
people will not willingly aid in the commission of a crime, as you saw here.