Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 29th 05, 04:35 AM
John Smith

Default Impedance of pull-up whip on SW Receiver?

I have a Grundig YB-500 (Yacht Boy 500) shortwave portable. I frequently take it to remote locations with me and have enjoyed the radio for years. It has a short pull up whip antenna, all I have done in the past is to slingshot a long wire into a tree and use a clip lead to attach it to the pull-up whip (no external ant connections on the radio).

I was wondering what the impedance the collapsed whip would present, and what sort or a balun/auto-transformer could be used between a longwire (or other ant), gnd and the pull-up whip to improve reception...

.... anyone ever done any experimenting or unique ideas?

Warmest regards,
John C. Smith

--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right before my eyes--in real time!
Thirty year old technology--wasn't it amazing?