RadioBanter

-   -   80 Meter Horizontal Loop (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/72280-80-meter-horizontal-loop.html)

Fred W4JLE June 7th 05 03:59 PM

Do you have a need to be so supercilious?.

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:06:13 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
Clearly you didn't read the links or you wouldn't be asking all of the
questions.

Reg Edwards June 7th 05 04:51 PM

If you can't get the internal SWR meter on an Icom 735 (or similar
rigs) down to exactly 1:1 then either there's something wrong with the
tuner or with the tuner operator.

The tuner either works or it doesn't. There's no half-way house.
Without a tuner anything can happen. And it usually does.

There are far too many sleepless nights unnecessarily caused by the
SWR meter not being in the right imagined ballpark. Just ask
yourselves is the transmitter loaded with roughly 50 ohms or isn't it.
The SWR on the feedline hardly matters two hoots - the so called SWR
meter doesn't measure it anyway.

Do G5RV addicts realise that under even the best conditions the SWR on
the feedline is as high as 10-to-1 regardless of what the meter says.
But it doesn't seem to worry them.
----
Reg.

Cecil Moore June 7th 05 06:17 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
If you can't get the internal SWR meter on an Icom 735 (or similar
rigs) down to exactly 1:1 then either there's something wrong with the
tuner or with the tuner operator.

What you say is true for roller inductor tuners, Reg,
but most tuners have switched inductors. The perfect
inductance may not be possible.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore June 7th 05 06:22 PM

Fred W4JLE wrote:
All my feedlines have a 9:1 SWR by design.

Heh, heh, I understand perfectly. Don't know
how many others do. :-) All my feedlines have
an SWR between 5:1 and 13:1 by design.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Buck June 7th 05 06:30 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:21:27 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Chuck Olson wrote:
The tuner doesn't reduce efficiency - -

There's no such thing as a 100% efficient tuner.

I realize that a tuner is not 100% efficient, but when I hook up my 80
meter dipole and listen on 20 meters (the wire is fed with coax), the
signals are stronger when tuned thru the tuner rather than direct from
the antenna. Not to mention that when I transmit, the radio is
operating on reduced power with the dipole direct. I realize that
there is considerable loss in my coax (I am using garbage and know it)
and that I am taking a loss thru the tuner, but it is a better option
than direct thru the coax alone.

;)

--
73 for now
Buck

Wes Stewart June 7th 05 06:46 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:17:43 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:
If you can't get the internal SWR meter on an Icom 735 (or similar
rigs) down to exactly 1:1 then either there's something wrong with the
tuner or with the tuner operator.

My TS870 has an menu option for setting the "good enough" SWR using
the built-in tuner. The limits can be 1.2:1 or 1.6:1.

1:1 is not an option nor is it desired. If the feedback loop was
tight enought to always try to achieve 1:1 it would probably never
stop hunting.

What you say is true for roller inductor tuners, Reg,
but most tuners have switched inductors. The perfect
inductance may not be possible.

Nor is it required. With three reactances, coarse setting one and
varying the other two can achieve a perfect match. As I have said
many times, this may not be optimum from a loss or BW standpoint, but
you can get a match.

Cecil Moore June 7th 05 06:49 PM

Wes Stewart wrote:
... but you can get a match.

Apparently not, if you define a match as Reg apparently does. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Wes Stewart June 7th 05 07:13 PM

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:19:23 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

All my feedlines have a 9:1 SWR by design.

Really, and how is that?

Wes Stewart June 7th 05 07:44 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:22:05 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Fred W4JLE wrote:
All my feedlines have a 9:1 SWR by design.

Heh, heh, I understand perfectly.

You do?