RadioBanter

-   -   what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/74693-what-best-10-40m-windom-g5rv.html)

DAVID BROWNE July 16th 05 04:08 PM

what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv

what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv half size

thanks dave browne 2e0 dmb

Frank 2 July 16th 05 05:15 PM

"DAVID BROWNE" wrote in message
what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv half size

thanks dave browne 2e0 dmb

Both antennas are single wires. All single wires of the same length perform
the same. The only differences between the antennas are the losses on the
transmission lines. The lowest loss transmission lines are open wire, or
ladder line.

Regards,

Frank

Reg Edwards July 17th 05 07:39 AM

"DAVID BROWNE" wrote in message
what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv half size

thanks dave browne 2e0 dmb

================================
Neither of them is anywhere near as good as a random length dipole fed
over a 450 or 600 ohm transmission line, with a tuner.

A so-called half-size G5RV is a laughing stock.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Cecil Moore July 17th 05 01:47 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
A so-called half-size G5RV is a laughing stock.

The half-size G5RV is 1.5WL on 10m and the matching
feedline section is 0.5WL on 10m, a pretty good 10m
antenna with multiple radiation lobes.

It is 0.75WL on 20m fed with a 0.25WL matching
section. The Smith Chart says that's not a bad match.

It is 0.375WL on 40m fed with a 0.125WL matching
section. The Smith Chart says that's not a bad match.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Reg Edwards July 17th 05 02:09 PM

The ancient Smith chart may tell somebody about something.

But I'm still laughing about the ridiculous half-size G5RV. And so,
in his grave, is Mr Varney.

Anything will work after a fashion at one frequency. It's so easy to
find one. But by which time the DX has faded away.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old Ed July 17th 05 07:22 PM

Uhhhh, Reg...

Don't look now, but:

1. The equations underlying the Smith Chart don't become more
valid when they are programmed into a computer.

2. Antennas scale with frequency, as you are undoubtedly aware.
So a half-size antenna used at twice the frequency is neither
more nor less "ridiculous" than the "full-sized" version.

3. The "not bad" matches Cecil was talking about were/are
achieved WITHOUT the use of an outboard antenna tuner.
So our hypothetical G5RV/2 DX chaser just might bag the
quarry while you are still getting your tuner on frequency.

Ed

Old Ed July 17th 05 09:42 PM

Hi there, Op...

Well, the devil is in the details, isn't it?

One "compromise" from a Mercedes is a Yugo.
That would be a pretty big come-down.

But another "compromise" from a Mercedes would be a BMW
(or vice-versa). That wouldn't be hard to take at all.

Presumably, the reference antennas against which the G5RV is
called a "compromise" are full-sized dipoles for the respective
bands. IF the G5RV can come reasonably close to those
(and many users seem to think it can), then there is a pretty
good basis for its enduring popularity.

73, Ed

Ham op July 18th 05 12:30 AM

The full size G5RV IS A 20 Meter antenna!! That's a fact.

It performs as designed on 20 meters!!

Any wire can be made to radiate on other frequencies by using stubs,
baluns, tuners, etc. But that does not change the fact that the G5RV is
designed as a 20 meter antenna!!

It works on other harmonically related bands, but it is still a 20 meter
design!

I used one about 6 years ago. Then changed to a center fed doublet with
open wire tuned feeders. I'll take the doublet/tuned feeders any day!

Ham Op

Thierry July 18th 05 11:57 AM

"DAVID BROWNE" wrote in message
what is best for 10-40m windom or g5rv half size

thanks dave browne 2e0 dmb

I haven't use the half-size models which are too small to give good results,
excepted for local QSO (and dxing with luck during high solar cycle, hi!)
I am not sure that your solution will be efficient, even on 15 or 20m.
All depend on what you want to do with it and on what band.

I used both in full-length and I prefer the reception pattern of the windom
that fills the gaps not covered by the dipole due to its vertical segment.
The overall performance is better that using a G5RV close to the same
length.

Here is some impressions when I used both :
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-antenna3.htm (second half of page)
and here http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-g5rv.htm for some diagram
patterns of the G5RV.

Thierry, ON4SKY