Old July 16th 05, 07:45 PM
Thierry

Default Quad/ beam for portables activities ?

Hi,

I need your advice. Here are my needs :
I'd like to DXing on portable at 100W SSB. I am looking for a directive
antenna displaying an interesting gain and F/B. Another factor to consider
is the price but I am not ready to build the antenna myself. The rotation of
the mast/antenna will be insured manually.
I have thus to use the lightest 2-ele quad or a 3-ele beam.

My weight being close to 65 kg the weight of this antenna should be of 20 kg
max (at first sight. I don't exactly know what weight I canb lift up, but
probably not much)
If this is a quad I think that I can still place it 3-5m high max (the lower
string being 1 to 2m over ground), for sure much higher for the beam.
The overall length of the antenna cannot exceed 4-5m and the possible boom
must be telescopic or easy to assemble as all parts could enter in a medium
size car (so elements to assemble must be 2.5m long max or so)

So I am looking for a dealer manufacturering light elements or collapsible
antennas or easy to setup (in less than 30 min-1h)
At last I prefer a full length quad or, if that exists, a quad using traps
(but I've never seen that) but the beam could use traps and the ends.
This antenna must be tuned on 20m or maybe a tri-bander 20-15-10 or
20-17-15m

Is this a dream or not ? If not, do you know some manufacturers providing
such antennas ?

Excepted Hexa-Beam Light models, I don't really know other dealers (and BBQ
is a shortened quad and quite heavy and Titanex sells only large beams and
verticals).
Do you have some good experience in the field in erecting such /P beams ?.
If you do, what model do (did) you use ?

Thanks for your comments

Thierry
ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/menu-qsl.htm

Old July 17th 05, 07:49 AM
Roger Conroy

"Thierry" - wrote in message ...
[...]

Spiderbeam - 3 or 5 bands - 20 to 10m
www.spiderbeam.net

Easy to build, cheap, good performance, very light weight and packs up
compact.

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old July 17th 05, 09:19 PM
Thierry

Hi Roger,

Indeed, I know the spiderbeam since the very beginning but it is really too
huge I believe
I list all "portable" multibands solution in this excel file
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-portable3.htm

From what I have seen or read, most portable beam are working on 6m or
below.
Remain the quad that works fine closer to the ground than the beam.
Hard to find.

Thierry, ON4SKY

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message

"Thierry" - wrote in message ...
[...]

?.
If you do, what model do (did) you use ?

Thanks for your comments

Thierry
ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/menu-qsl.htm

Spiderbeam - 3 or 5 bands - 20 to 10m
www.spiderbeam.net

Easy to build, cheap, good performance, very light weight and packs up
compact.

73
Roger ZR3RC

Free HF Cubical Quad Parts Dave Head Swap 1 December 12th 08 01:36 AM
FYI: NOAA Lightning Safety Awareness Week K4YZ Policy 0 June 8th 05 02:25 AM
WANT : large QUAD hubs for 40m QUAD Josh Swap 0 September 27th 04 10:15 PM
Identify beam Terry Ashland Antenna 2 June 21st 04 02:51 AM
Quad vs Yagi (or log) Thierry Antenna 23 February 18th 04 08:38 PM