RadioBanter

-   -   Amateur question pools and answers... (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/75219-amateur-question-pools-answers.html)

Ham op July 29th 05 12:43 PM

Fred W4JLE wrote:

Nonsense John, today's college graduate is more in line with the high school
graduates of the fifties. I hired enough of your "highly educated"
graduates to be more than a casual observer.

They knew every thing there was to know about political correctness, liberal
thinking, and how to bitch if they were not given everything on a platter
the day they hired in.

I assigned an engineer the task of designing a simple serial interface to a
piece of equipment. He told me "we didn't cover that in school". Today A's
are passed out to everyone, in some schools, so as not to make the others
feel bad.

Give me an old time ham or a Navy trained technician, at least they had the
basics. Many of today's graduates are over paid at minimum wage.

I hired many newly degreed engineers in the 1980s. It took 5 to 8 years
of actual work before they became real engineers. Several engineers from
'highly' accredited universities were dismissed because they wouldn't or
couldn't write a simple technical report.

Check the Harvard University graduation list. EVERYBODY is a high honors
graduate!!! More than 90% of Harvard graduates are high honors. I find
that hard to believe.

Wes Stewart July 29th 05 03:08 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:59:49 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Wes:

Those osc are a thing of the past...

I beg to differ.

Bring a junk am broadcast radio near your computer, you will hear literal
dozens (well, a bunch anyway!) of osc's freqs going on there, probably not one
being generated by a colpitts, hartley or pierce osc circuit...
And, with the proper processing, all those waves could be a sine...

In all likelyhood, the master clock oscillator for the microprocessor
is a Pierce xtal oscillator. All of the other garbage is derived from
that. There may also be plug-in cards with their own clock, most
likely another Pierce.

In case you've forgotten, these are -digital- circuits, sine waves
need not apply.

Why you guys think that the computer guys have invented some new
-magic- oscillator is beyond me. Wait a minute..... maybe I understand
after all.

Caveat Lector July 29th 05 03:56 PM

Thank you - curiosity satisfied.
Just curious as how often these are used today
I do know about colpitts, hartley, pierce, wien, clapp, TGTP, relaxation,
crystal, negative resistance, dynatron, etc
Anyone remember the dynatron oscillator? Tetrodes me lads tetrodes.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I ask

"Ham op" wrote in message
Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator
or a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

All of them!!! The reference oscillator in every phase locked loop is
generally a Colpitt's oscillator. I suspect that every oscillator in the
VCO circuit is also Colpitt's.

By simply asking the question you make the point!!!

The required level of knowledge for a license today is significantly
poorer than 40 or 50 years ago.

Fred W4JLE July 29th 05 04:11 PM

Remember the golden rule!

"He who has the gold makes the rules" We old farts have it and the young
bucks want it, makes us right no matter what!

It is my intention to be a professional curmudgeon until I am looking at the
grass from the bottom...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Fred:

I disagree. Most of the problems we see in academia is that the mindset

has
changed. Older personalities have quite some difficulty in coping with

the new
generations, it has always been like that though, just more intense in

this age
(but what isn't?)

Fred W4JLE July 29th 05 04:16 PM

The three most important things in life are attitude, attitude, and
attitude. Many of the new hams have yet to learn that lesson. It is my
experience that scorn and derision are heaped on the deserving!

On 2005-07-28, Fred W4JLE wrote:
Don't be silly! The first thing any new ham learns on the internet
is that if you got your Extra after the 20wpm requirement was dropped,
your questions will meet with nothing but scorn and derision!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Fred W4JLE July 29th 05 04:31 PM

And thus the reason for "No Code / Slow Code".

The mantra today is "I want it so give it to me!"

Then justify it by claming those that have learned the requirements are just
trying to feel superior. A real no no in these days of no score soccer
games...

Someday they will realize the animus is not about code, it is about their
attitudes.

Caveat Lector July 29th 05 04:33 PM

Nope the FCC makes the rules
You can beat up on the new non-technical hams OR help them
The choice is yours.
In our area, we run a weekly 2M Ham Help net
Our repeater is open to any technical question, no matter how basic.
Periodic classes are conducted for Tech and General -- success rate is quite
high.

And many of our no-code Techs are very active in emergency communications,
PR communicators, field day, and many other useful avenues of ham radio.
Quite a number have advanced to General and Extra.

The times is a changing -- Bob Dylan

--
CL -- A 20 wpm Extra since 1979

Cecil Moore July 29th 05 04:43 PM

Fred W4JLE wrote:
The mantra today is "I want it so give it to me!"

My dog is like that but I love her anyway. And it's typical
of most animal species. So shouldn't the blame lie instead
with the governmental bureaucrats who freely dole out the
welfare packages?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Caveat Lector July 29th 05 04:46 PM

Indeed negative resistance it be

A tetrode with grid and plate potentials so arranged that plate current
decreases when plate potential increases.

CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !