Old July 28th 05, 01:21 AM
Ron in NY

Default How does your Butternut Vertical work ???

I posted this in the wrong group--Let's try it here.
Hi again all,

It looks like I'm going to get a Butternut HF9VX vertical to replace my 25
year old Hustler 5BTV. I looked at Gap verticals, but in all the pictures I've
seen, they seem to have some kind of horizontal array at the bottom. I plan on
ground mounting this thing, and I'm afraid someone will trip on the array and
destroy it or themself. My old Hustler had no horizontal elements at ground
level, and in all the pics I've seen of the Butternut verticals, it looks like
there is nothing sticking out at the bottom either. Is there anything at the
bottom of the Butternuts, and what's your experience with them ???

RON KA2IIA
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old July 28th 05, 03:41 PM
Michael Coslo

Ron in NY wrote:

It looks like I'm going to get a Butternut HF9VX vertical to replace my 25
year old Hustler 5BTV. I looked at Gap verticals, but in all the pictures I've
seen, they seem to have some kind of horizontal array at the bottom. I plan on
ground mounting this thing, and I'm afraid someone will trip on the array and
destroy it or themself. My old Hustler had no horizontal elements at ground
level, and in all the pics I've seen of the Butternut verticals, it looks like
there is nothing sticking out at the bottom either. Is there anything at the
bottom of the Butternuts, and what's your experience with them ???

Lets work our way backwards. The Butternuts work well. Since you are
used to vertical performance, you should be happy with one of them.

As to things sticking out at ground level, the Butternut wants some
radials around it. You'll want to place some on or in the ground. Some
staple the radials to the ground surface. A lot of us bury them a bit
underground. So there are no trip hazards.

- mike KB3EIA -