Old November 16th 03, 09:24 PM
CommCtr1

Default FS: MFJ 220mhz ground plane $20.00

This is the MFJ 1/4 wave ground plane antenna. It is currently cut for 220,
but can be cut down for 144mhz.
It is assembled at the moment. I had it up for about 6 months, but decided
to take it down.
It is in like new condition. Comes with U bolt for mounting.

$20.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

email direct if interested

Old November 16th 03, 09:51 PM
w4jle

While I am somewhat adept at cutting a 144 to 220, for the life of me I do
not know how to do the converse...

Old November 16th 03, 10:41 PM
JGBOYLES

While I am somewhat adept at cutting a 144 to 220, for the life of me I do
not know how to do the converse..

May be worth the $20 just to find out how that is done.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 16th 03, 11:29 PM
dbn

Just how does one go abt STRECHING the radiator since 220mhz requires a
shorter radiator than 144mhz. If you would impart this information to the
ham community, I do beleive that you will be a hero!!!! Or at very least
well liked!!!

Dan

--
If I am tired now, why do I have to RETIRE later?

Old November 17th 03, 01:17 AM
Dave Shrader

Hmmm ?? A construction project!! Or, is it a recipe?

Start with a 48 inch length of stainless steel 1/16 inch diameter rod.

Add a new coil at one end to be tapped for a 50 ohm match at 146 MHz.

Add a new capacitor connected in parallel with the coil.

Adjust capacitor and inductance to achieve 146 MHz resonance.

Using an antenna analyzer locate and solder a tap coil for 50 ohm match.

Seal all with a strong weather proof sealant.

Install in mount provided at point of sale.

Install on vehicle.

After failure, replace with commercial 146 MHz antenna

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Old November 17th 03, 10:23 PM
CommCtr1

Well you see gentlemen, after spending a day up on the roof, it appears I
typed without proof reading.
You would all be correct, how would you cut a 220mhz antenna to work on
144mhz????? Good question!
So let me stand corrected and say, it can be cut for
440mhz.......................... NOT 144mhz.
Thanks for noticing my mistake............

73

Lou

Old November 17th 03, 11:41 PM
JGBOYLES

Thanks for noticing my mistake............

We all make em'. Good luck selling the antenna.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 18th 03, 12:16 AM
Dan/W4NTI

20 bux hu?

You can built one out of a SO-239 coax connector, a aluminum L bracket. A
U-bolt, and some welding wire/and or solid copper and some solder....maybe
5 bux at most.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 18th 03, 01:40 AM
Noon-Air

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
20 bux hu?

You can built one out of a SO-239 coax connector, a aluminum L bracket.

U-bolt, and some welding wire/and or solid copper and some

solder....maybe
5 bux at most.

Too expensive....all you need is an SO-239 and a coffee can with a piece of
copper wire and some solder

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 18th 03, 01:04 PM
Dean Arthur

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

20 bux hu?

You can built one out of a SO-239 coax connector, a aluminum L bracket. A
U-bolt, and some welding wire/and or solid copper and some solder....maybe
5 bux at most.

Dan/W4NTI

Remember, most of these were bottle fed and have no concept of self-help.

You're a good samaritan. Now you'll be bombarded with requests to build
same for them for 5 bux shipping included!