Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 29th 05, 04:09 PM
W8LNA

amc wrote:
just got this from someone and i want to test it. 3 screws on each unit.
want to hook it up without frying it.
both are numbered 123, so that easy enough. but want to know whats going on
electrically, is this just a reversing switch, I'm very very novice.

No, what happens is one of the terminals, say #1, is common to two (or
more) windings in the motor, the other two terminals, 2 and 3, are
individual connections to the other end of the individual windings. To
turn the rotor AC is applied to, say, terminal 2 and through a capacitor
to 3 using 1 as the return. To change direction AC is applied to 3
directly and through the capacitor to 2. The value of the capacitor and
the AC voltage depends on the motor, I used a C-M motor with a Kenpro
KR-400 control box and other than not having any position indication it
worked just fine. I've since upgraded the motor, the box puts out about
18 VAC to drive the motor, the capacitor is about 30 uF, 60 VDC. I
don't remember the terminal numbers versus coils.

is there any free schematics out there, or can someone give me some basic
level input. I'm very green.

Try
http://bama.sbc.edu/
it's real slow right now, possibly because of the hurricane.

There's also
http://www.mods.dk/
look for 'Manuals' links in the brands' pages. My Kenpro control box
manual is available under 'Other' manuals.