RadioBanter

-   -   Ground rods.at HF (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/77648-ground-rods-hf.html)

Reg Edwards September 4th 05 01:56 PM

Ground rods.at HF

I post the following as a copy of a reply I made to the uk.amateur
radio newsgroup.

=====================================

I am considering the using some army surplus aluminium alloy poles

as
part of the rf ground for an inverted L antenna. They are thick

walled
4ft tubes able to withstand stand being driven into the ground, and

are
lying around waiting to be used for something.
The issues which come to mind are corrosion through contact with the
earth and electrolytic reaction where a copper cable is attatched

with
steel bolt and eylet connector.
Has anyone on here tried this?

John
m1jta

====================================
John,
I have used 3 or 4 feet alumininium alloy tubes as earth rods, on and
off, for many years. I have found them just the same as any other or
metals - ie., no bloody good.

Electrically, at HF, a 3 or 4-feet earth rod is no better than a
single, thin, radial, shallow-buried, horizontal wire of the same
length which is much easier to install.

The resistance to ground has nothing whatsoever to do with the
conductivity of the metal or surface corrosion products. It has
everything to do with the resistivity of the soil in which the rod is
embedded. ie., the soil in the immediate vicinity of the rod.

Resistance to ground depends almost entirely on rod length and is only
very slightly dependent on rod diameter.

Only old wives believe resistance is related to surface area of the
rod or electrode and dig great holes in their back gardens to bury
unwanted, scrap, hot-water cylinders. They would do better by
approaching their local scrap metal merchant.

A 3 or 4 feet rod in typical garden soil has a resistance to ground of
the order of 100 to 200 ohms and by itself is useless.

To locate one rod immediately next to another does next to nothing
regarding ground connection resistance. A pair of rods must be spaced
apart by at least twice their length before the resulting ground
resistance approaches half the resistance of one rod.

A collection of a number of rods must be spaced apart by many times
greater than their depth of burial to obtain the full benefit of all
being connected in parallel.

Consequently, the connecting wires from rods to a focal point
themselves constitute a good system of shallow-buried radials and the
short rods at the ends of the radial wires can be dispensed with.
Exactly the same result can be achieved just by extending the radials
by another, insignificant 3 feet. The rods are both wasted effort and
wasted copper (or aluminium).
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Richard Harrison September 5th 05 04:24 AM

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"The rods are both wasted effort and wasted copper (or aluminum)."

Likely so.

Radials are placed to capture displacement current to and from the
vertical radiator, to prevent its travel at a high densitY in the earth
where it would cause high loss.

B, L, & E found that more radials were better than longer radials. More
radials put the displacement current capture closer to the vertical
radiator where its density is higher. Radials need extend outward only
as far as there is any current or until a point of diminishing returns
is reached. At great distance from the vertical radiator, the earth`s
crust, which may be affected, has a great cross section, so current
density is low and so are losses. There is much less displacement
current to deal with near the ends of radials. Displacement current is
low near the ends of the radials and the earth out there has a large
cross section and a low resistance. Due to skin effect, the closer to
the surface, the higher the current. This is especially true at high
frequencies.

Richard Harrison September 5th 05 04:40 AM

I sent too soon.

The problem with ground rods at high radio frequencies is that depth of
earth renetration may be low as compared with length of the ground rod.
Contact that counts is that which connects with the current path.

There is a special problem with the aluminum material itself of the
ground rods mentioned by the questioner. Aluminum, zinc, and magnesium
are galvanic anodes used for cathodic protection of less active metals.

A copper ground rod is likely to last forever in the soil. An aluminum
ground rod is likely to soon be sacrificed in its attempt to protect
other connected metals in the same galvanic soup.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Walter Maxwell September 5th 05 02:51 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:24:24 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

You've just presented the best abstract of BL&E I've seen ever seen.
It should be must reading for anyone who asks questions concerning the
purpose of radials, how many, and how long.

Walt, W2DU

hasan schiers September 5th 05 05:42 PM

The best answer I've seen, based on current research is:

N=(SQRT(2*PI*L))/A

N equals the square root of the quantity 2*PI*L divided by A, whe

N = optimum number of radials for high efficiency
L = amount of wire available in meters
A = distance between wire tips at the far end (a measure of radial density)

A = 1.3 for 95% or greater efficiency (approximation) read article for more
precise values.
A = 2.6 for 85% efficiency (approximation)

Example 1:

You have 500 meters of wire available. How many and how long for the two
values of A?

N = (SQR(2*pi*500))/1.3 = 43 radials. Length = 500/43 = 11.6 meters

N= (SQR(2*pie*500))/2.6 = 22 radials. Length = 500/22 = 18 meters

Example 2: (you have space constraints and the max radial length available
is 15 meters)

How many radials are required and how much wire is required?

The circumference of a circle with a radius of 15 meters is 2*PI*15 or 94.2
meters. With the tips of the radials seperated by 1.3 meters we have
94.2/1.3 = 72 radials. If we go for slightly more loss, we have 94.2/2.6 or
36 radials, 15 meters long.

Now you can plug in your own limitations for radial length, and get a feel
for how many of them you will need for 95% efficiency (A=1.3 meters) and 85%
(A=2.6 meters).

This info was presented in some ARRL publication, as I recall, and is also
presented in the 4th Edition of "Low-Band DXing" by John Devodere.

....hasan, N0AN

Richard Harrison September 5th 05 09:31 PM

I appreciate Walt, W2DU`s kind words regarding my posting about ground
rods and radials.

I did not recommend any particular number or length of radials. RCA`s
Brown, Lewis, and Epstein examined how many and how long ground radials
should be in the 1930`s. The FCC accepted their experimental work,
conducted at 3 MHz, and used it to set ground system standards for
broadcasting in the medium wave band. These standards are still
applicable. B.L.&E. did good work.

Another RCA alumnus, E.A. Laport, abstracted some of B.L.&E.`s work in
"Radio Antenna Engineering". Figs. 2.17, 2.18, and 2.19 on pages 119 and
120 show field strength as a function of the number of radials. All the
Figs. show near perfection with 113 radials, so it seems the FCC rounded
up to 120 radials and made it the rule. It`s worked well, giving us
good broadcast reception when the earth is dry and sandy or wet and
swampy. Laport`s figures show performance with 1/2 and 1/4 the ideal
number of radials.

As Walter flattered me, I`ll reciprocate. Get hold of the April 1973
issue of QST. Look on page 35. Walter is pictured there. He is a real
good looking fellow!

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dan Richardson September 5th 05 10:25 PM

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:31:18 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
As Walter flattered me, I`ll reciprocate. Get hold of the April 1973
issue of QST. Look on page 35. Walter is pictured there. He is a real
good looking fellow!

[snip]

If you don't have that QST handy you can see Walter he

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE_de_W2DU.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Walter Maxwell September 5th 05 10:27 PM

Harrison) wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Richard, for considering me for the MAS (mutual admiration
society). You are too kind. The issue of QST you referenced contains
the first installment of my series of articles, "Another Look At
Reflections," which form the first seven chapters of 'Reflections 1
and 2'. Incidentally, the 3rd edition is in the publication stage. I
will be posting the release date on my web page at w2du.com.

Back on the subject of radials, unless the FCC has changed the
requirements since I was involved, the requirement is for 90 radials.
However, most of the AM BC stations I'm familiar with use 120, even
tho not required.

Walt, W2DU

Walter Maxwell September 6th 05 02:32 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:25:09 -0700, Dan Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:31:18 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
As Walter flattered me, I`ll reciprocate. Get hold of the April 1973
issue of QST. Look on page 35. Walter is pictured there. He is a real
good looking fellow!

[snip]

If you don't have that QST handy you can see Walter he

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE_de_W2DU.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Well, Danny, ya had to go and do it din't ya? Now people who see my
face in post offices will know how to trace me through my mug shot you
just posted. I thought I'd gotten away with it. Somebody hire you to
post it? CSI? Law & Order? At least after I'm sent away to Attica
everybody, including you, will be able to find me.

Ya wanna know sumptin? I don't even have any remorse!

Walt

Walter Maxwell September 6th 05 03:22 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:25:09 -0700, Dan Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:31:18 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
As Walter flattered me, I`ll reciprocate. Get hold of the April 1973
issue of QST. Look on page 35. Walter is pictured there. He is a real
good looking fellow!

[snip]

If you don't have that QST handy you can see Walter he

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE_de_W2DU.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Danny, I was just perusing the data in the post re the above url and
found a typo. In the ground radial data in the line showing 30
radials, the data for 0.4/wl indicating 158 mv/meter should read 185
mv/meter.

I've searched through my files for the one I sent to you containing
this data, but I can't find it. I'm assuming you simply copied my
data, so it's probably my error, which I'd like to fix in the
original. I guess all I can do is ask you to place a correction on
that incorrect piece of data to avoid giving the impression that the
remaining data may be suspect.

Walt, W2DU

Dan Richardson September 6th 05 03:33 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:32:45 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

Well, Danny, ya had to go and do it din't ya? Now people who see my
face in post offices will know how to trace me through my mug shot you
just posted. I thought I'd gotten away with it. Somebody hire you to
post it? CSI? Law & Order? At least after I'm sent away to Attica
everybody, including you, will be able to find me.

Ya wanna know sumptin? I don't even have any remorse!

Walt

The devil made me do it! G

Danny

Dan Richardson September 6th 05 03:33 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:22:37 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:25:09 -0700, Dan Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:31:18 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
As Walter flattered me, I`ll reciprocate. Get hold of the April 1973
issue of QST. Look on page 35. Walter is pictured there. He is a real
good looking fellow!

[snip]

If you don't have that QST handy you can see Walter he

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE_de_W2DU.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Danny, I was just perusing the data in the post re the above url and
found a typo. In the ground radial data in the line showing 30
radials, the data for 0.4/wl indicating 158 mv/meter should read 185
mv/meter.

I think you mean the line for 60 radials? Anyway I changed that one to
the 185 figure.

Please double check it for me.

Thanks,
Danny, K6MHE

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/

Walter Maxwell September 6th 05 03:48 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:33:38 -0700, Dan Richardson wrote:

If you don't have that QST handy you can see Walter he

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE_de_W2DU.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Danny, I was just perusing the data in the post re the above url and
found a typo. In the ground radial data in the line showing 30
radials, the data for 0.4/wl indicating 158 mv/meter should read 185
mv/meter.

I think you mean the line for 60 radials? Anyway I changed that one to
the 185 figure.

Please double check it for me.

Thanks,
Danny, K6MHE

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/

Ya done good, Danny, thanks.

Walt

Reg Edwards September 6th 05 04:21 PM

"Walter Maxwell" wrote
Back on the subject of radials, unless the FCC has changed the
requirements since I was involved, the requirement is for 90

radials.
However, most of the AM BC stations I'm familiar with use 120, even

tho not required.

Walt,

Has it taken 70 years for the old wives of the FCC to return to Earth,
disregarding B.L & E who forgot to measure ground conductivity, not to
mention permittivity, and think again about economics?
----
Reg.

[email protected] September 7th 05 02:12 AM

Has it taken 70 years for the old wives of the FCC to return to Earth,
disregarding B.L & E who forgot to measure ground conductivity, not to
mention permittivity, and think again about economics?

The only stations that the FCC is concerned about is commercial.
And the reason they stick with the standard number is for stability
and getting the max bang for buck, and an easily expected
performance level. Buying a load of wire will beat using more
transmitter power over the long run. If they use 120 radials,
they know they will be getting close to maximum performance.
If they don't, it's a crap shoot. 120 radials *will* outperform
16 of them. There is no question, unless they are over sea
water. I'm not saying hams have to run that many. In fact, I
think 60 will do for most, except the most hard core for good
results. Even less for the more casual user.
But I have no problems with the FCC wanting a certain level
of performance for commercial stations. I have no problems
seeing why they do it either. Wire is cheap compared to
todays level of monthly light bill. With some stations, the radials,
or lack of , in certain directions gives them a controlable
pattern with no surprises in f/s over a period of time
with changing ground conditions. The main thing is
stability of performance over periods of time. Or thats
my take anyway.
MK

dansawyeror September 7th 05 03:24 AM

All,

A fundamental basic question, which is the primary purpose of radials:

1. is it to create a ground, that is a as close as possible to zero ohm virtual
reference for the 'real' vertical half of the dipole?

2. Or are they to create a real resonant half of a dipole?

If it is the first then what does the 'efficiency' curve look like for a
shortened, loaded, vertical? That is if the vertical element is loaded to
resonate at 1/5 of a half wave length what does the ground resistance profile
look like for 120 radials at various lengths of 1/20 wave, 1/10 wave and 1/5 wave?

The question I am really driving at is if mesh is layed down at 100% coverage
about what fraction of a wave length needs to be covered to create a 2.5, 5, and
10 ohm equivalent ground for the vertical above?

In the paragraph above is the mesh simulating a ground or is it fact operating
as a ground.

Thanks,
Dan

Reg Edwards September 7th 05 03:07 PM

MK,

How satisfying it is to read your message, written in plain, easy to
understand, well-punctuated English, without any undeciferable coded
abbreviations.

I agree with what you say although I am unfamiliar with exactly how
the FCC fits into the scheme of things.

Amateurs and commercial broadcasters have a common fundamental
requirement. There is a service area to be covered with a given field
strength. Depending on frequency, requirements then diverge. But the
design methods used to satisfy requirements are all confined (or
should be) to the principles of engineering economics. Inevitably, the
Dollar, Pound, Frank, Mark, Rouble and the Yen rule the roost.

Both commercial broadcasters and amateurs do a cost-befit analysis.
The broadcaster takes into account the revenue acruing from selling
the service. The amateur, whether he likes it or not, has to ask
himself what the satisfaction of using the station is worth.

Amateurs' bank accounts are not unlimited.

Field strength at the limits of the service area depends on the power
efficiency of the radiating system. If engineering economics dictate
use of a set of buried ground radials then the peformance of the
ground radials must be included. Considering the system as a whole,
it may be economical NOT to achieve the maximum possible radiating
efficiency. Indeed, the maximum is seldom the target.

If there is an economical choice in the matter, once the location of
the station is decided, everybody agrees that efficiency depends on
soil resistivity at the site. To estimate efficiency it is necessary,
at the very least, to make a guess at soil resistivity. Perhaps just
by looking at the type of weeds growing in it. Or it can be measured.

Depending on how far it enters into station economics, it is possible
to numerically estimate efficiency from the number and length of
radials AND FROM SOIL RESISTIVITY.

B.L & E and the FCC don't enter into it.
----
Reg.

MK wrote,

Walter Maxwell September 7th 05 04:41 PM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:07:39 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

[...]

Sorry to disagree, Reg, but it appears you're overlooking an important
point--the difference between the efficiency of the radiating system
itself, versus the efficiency of the ground area external to the
radiating system.

BL&E shows that when 90 - 120 (actually 113) radials of 0,4 w/l form
the ground system for a 1/4 wl radiator, the efficiency is 98.7%
efficient, REGARDLESS OF THE SOIL RESISTIVITY UNDER THE RADIALS. This
is shown by obtaining the field strength of 192 mv/meter at 1 mile for
1000 watts delivered to the antenna under the conditions described
above, compared to 194.5 mv/meter with a perfect ground having an
efficiency of 100%

It is only the soil resistivity of the ground external to the radial
system that determines the field stength external to the radial
system. Consequently, the soil resistivity (or conductivity, if you
like) is significant only in the areas external to the radial system.

Walt, W2DU

Dan Richardson September 7th 05 05:39 PM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:41:33 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

Sorry to disagree, Reg, but it appears you're overlooking an important
point--the difference between the efficiency of the radiating system
itself, versus the efficiency of the ground area external to the
radiating system.

Walter, my friend, you're beating a dead horse. It would appear that
Reg's mind is made up and no amount factual proof is going to change
it.

Had BL&E been Englishmen I sure things would be different.G

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Walter Maxwell September 7th 05 05:41 PM

wrote:

Sorry to disagree, Reg, but it appears you're overlooking an important
point--the difference between the efficiency of the radiating system
itself, versus the efficiency of the ground area external to the
radiating system.

Walter, my friend, you're beating a dead horse. It would appear that
Reg's mind is made up and no amount factual proof is going to change
it.

Had BL&E been Englishmen I sure things would be different.G

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Good point, Danny, how true.

Walt

Ron Murray September 7th 05 05:58 PM

| Sorry to disagree, Reg, but it appears you're overlooking an
important
| point--the difference between the efficiency of the radiating system
| itself, versus the efficiency of the ground area external to the
| radiating system.
|
| BL&E shows that when 90 - 120 (actually 113) radials of 0,4 w/l form
| the ground system for a 1/4 wl radiator, the efficiency is 98.7%
| efficient, REGARDLESS OF THE SOIL RESISTIVITY UNDER THE RADIALS.
This
| is shown by obtaining the field strength of 192 mv/meter at 1 mile
for
| 1000 watts delivered to the antenna under the conditions described
| above, compared to 194.5 mv/meter with a perfect ground having an
| efficiency of 100%
|
| It is only the soil resistivity of the ground external to the radial
| system that determines the field stength external to the radial
| system. Consequently, the soil resistivity (or conductivity, if you
| like) is significant only in the areas external to the radial
system.

| Walt, W2DU

Walt,

What if the ground outside the radial system was comprised of 30-1000
feet of sand and rock overlying any conductive soil below? Would we
then be able to measure 192 mv/meter at one mile with our 113 radials
of 0.4 w/l?

Ron, WA4IWN

Roy Lewallen September 7th 05 08:13 PM

dansawyeror wrote:
All,

A fundamental basic question, which is the primary purpose of radials:

1. is it to create a ground, that is a as close as possible to zero ohm
virtual reference for the 'real' vertical half of the dipole?

There is no such thing as "creating a ground". As for a "virtual
reference", you can declare any point on any conductor a "reference" and
for that matter "ground" that you wish.

2. Or are they to create a real resonant half of a dipole?

There's no need to try to make a dipole. If the radials are on or very
near the ground, their sole purpose is to reduce the amount of loss due
to current returning to the base of the antenna. The current entering
the antenna at the base equals the current flowing into the source
through the ground. This ground current results in I^2 * R loss; radials
reduce the R and therefore the loss.

In the case of a "ground plane" antenna with highly elevated radials,
the radials provide a path for the base current to flow (again, current
out of the source -- into the antenna -- has to equal the current into
it -- from the radials). Because of the physical configuration, it's
sometimes more convenient to build an antenna this way instead of making
a dipole. The radials radiate very little, and the vertical section
radiates twice as much per unit length as a dipole, resulting in the
same overall gain and pattern.

If it is the first then what does the 'efficiency' curve look like for a
shortened, loaded, vertical? That is if the vertical element is loaded
to resonate at 1/5 of a half wave length what does the ground resistance
profile look like for 120 radials at various lengths of 1/20 wave, 1/10
wave and 1/5 wave?

The answer to this depends on the ground conductivity and frequency. But
the radiation resistance of the shortened antenna will be less than that
of a full-height one. Therefore, if the ground resistance is fixed and
determined by the ground system (not completely true -- it does depend
some on the antenna height -- but close enough for discussion), the
efficiency of the short antenna will be less than for a full-height one.
I recommend finding and reading "The W2FMI Ground-Mounted Short
Vertical", by Jerry Sevick, W2FMI in March 1973 QST. He built several
antennas very much like you describe and made extensive measurements.

The question I am really driving at is if mesh is layed down at 100%
coverage about what fraction of a wave length needs to be covered to
create a 2.5, 5, and 10 ohm equivalent ground for the vertical above?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one right off the bat. It could
be determined with NEC-4 modeling, but I don't have time to do that. I
suggest that you locate a copy of Brown, Lewis, and Epstein's paper
"Ground Systems as a Factor in Antenna Efficiency", now posted on the
web. You should be able to get a fairly good idea from their
measurements of 113-radial systems.

In the paragraph above is the mesh simulating a ground or is it fact
operating as a ground.

I really don't know what "simulating a ground" and "operating as a
ground" means. But the radial field doesn't act like either real Earth
or a perfect infinite plane, if that's what you mean. If sufficiently
fine, a mesh will act like a solid conductor the size of the mesh.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Reg Edwards September 7th 05 09:08 PM

wrote:

[...]

=======================================

Walt, just what is it you cannot agree with? You appear to be making
an argument where none exists.

It is obvious there must be a distant point beyond which a large
number of radials will approach 100% efficiency regardless of ground
resistivity. B.L & E and the FCC arbitraliry decided on
1/2-wavelength and 120. Both nice round figures.

I'm sorrry to say you appear unable to agree that for the remaining
99.9% of all possible cases, ie., for cases less than 1/2-wavelength
and fewer than 120 radials, that GROUND RESISTIVITY in the immediate
vicinity of the antenna DOES HAVE A SIGNIFICANT EFFECT ON EFFICIENCY
and it cannot be disregarded.

My only criticism of B.L & E is that they forgot to measure soil
resistivity before leaving the site. And apparently, nobody has ever
bothered to go back and do it for them.

The only mention of their work occurs on this newsgroup. When laying
radials, 99% of amateurs forget B.L & E (if they have ever heard of
them) and the magic number of 120.

Hasan Schiers has recently given a blow-by-blow account of a sensible
way to lay a set of radials with the reasoning behind it.
----
Reg.

Richard Harrison September 7th 05 09:17 PM

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"The broadcaster takes into account the revenue accruing from selling
the service."

Yes, and he takes into account the ease of compliance with FCC Riles in
the USA.

Although 90 radials is a minimum requirement for the U.S. AM
broadcaster, here is the rule quoted by John Edward Cunningham in his
1977 "The Complete Broadcast Antenna Handbook", from page 311:

"The current FCC Rules specify that the radials should be at least 1/4
wavelength long and that there should be as many as practicable, but in
no case less than 90. The Rules add that a system of 120 radials spaced
every 3-degrees and extending 0.35-0.4 wavelength from the tower is
considered an excellent ground system. In addition, a square ground
screen 24 or 48 on a side is often provided at the base of the tower,
particularly when the tower height is such as to cause a high voltage.

Whenever a less than optimum ground system is used, the FCC requires a
complete field-intensity survey to establish that the effective field at
one mile meets minimum requirements."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Roy Lewallen September 7th 05 10:08 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
. . .
My only criticism of B.L & E is that they forgot to measure soil
resistivity before leaving the site. And apparently, nobody has ever
bothered to go back and do it for them.

What would you suggest as a method of measuring the RF ground
resistivity to a depth of 17 - 100 feet (3 skin depths at 3 MHz for the
range of likely resistivities)? Assuming it's very likely that the
resistivity would be quite different at different depths within that
range, how should they have used that information? How would you use
that information if someone "bothered to go back and do it for them"?

Reg, all signs point to your being seriously in need of a holiday. How
about a little trip to New Jersey to show us Yanks how it should have
been done? For less than the price of a couple of bottles of decent
wine, you can buy everything you'll need -- bucket, pocket DVM, trowel
-- right there, so you won't even have to carry any equipment with you.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Reg Edwards September 7th 05 11:16 PM

Dear Roy,

I'm sorry to say your worthless comments constitute an abject
admission of defeat in an argument which exists only in your
imagination.

By the way, are you still using your S-meter as the North American
Standard of signal strength?
----
Reg.

Reg Edwards September 8th 05 02:40 PM

Dan Richardson wrote -
Had BL&E been Englishmen I sure things would be different.G

====================================

They sure would!

They would have been instructed to go back and finish the job.
----
Reg.

Reg Edwards September 8th 05 05:09 PM

Dan Richardson wrote -
Had BL&E been Englishmen I sure things would be different.G

====================================

They sure would!

They would have been instructed (by their employers) to go back and

finish the job.
----
Reg.

=====================================

I am reminded of the military engineer who was dispatched by Napolion,
an engineer himself, in connection with standardisation of the Metre,
to measure the distance between the Earth's Equator and the North
Pole.

Measurements began, but the further the engineer departed from his
beautiful lady friend in Paris the more difficult it became to make
progress along the route. Eventually, he couldn't withstand the mental
and physical stress. He returned to her Parisian boudoir and resorted
to cooking the books in what time he had to spare.

So, the International Standard of Length, The Metre, held in Paris,
France, carefully guarded by the German occupying forces during WW2,
may or may not be equal to 39.37 English inches.

Actually, the most fundamental physical measurement standard is the
Mass of the Standard Kilogram on which everything else depends. But it
is quite an arbitrary quantity.

I have just finished a bottle of Blossom Hill, Californian, white
wine. Makes a pleasant change to arguing about what 'amateurs' BL&E
might, or might not have done before leaving the site.
----
Reg.

David G. Nagel September 8th 05 05:22 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:

Dan Richardson wrote -
[...]

All the above is/maybe true but remember that all the formule work using
the values represented in the METRE and the KILOGRAM. Something must be
correct here....

Dave WD9BDZ

Walter Maxwell September 8th 05 05:51 PM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:09:23 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

I have just finished a bottle of Blossom Hill, Californian, white
wine. Makes a pleasant change to arguing about what 'amateurs' BL&E
might, or might not have done before leaving the site.
----
Reg.

I hate to say this, Reg, but calling BL&E 'amateurs' is insulting to
me. I knew them well, and worked with B and E in the RCA Laboratories
antenna lab, and they are anything but 'amateurs'. I think you
finished off the Blossom Hill to rapidly.

Perhaps you should take a look at the long list of IRE articles
published by Dr. G.H. Brown, reporting his work that shaped the
present design of all AM BC antennas. Did you ever wonder what
happened to the diamond-shaped AM towers? And why the AM towers
constructed since 1940 have a uniform cross section?

And did you know that Dr. Brown gave John Kraus, W8JK, the idea of
close spaced elements that culminated in the 'W8JK Beam' antenna?

L, (Bob Lewis) is also a fine engineer, although he is also a ham,
W2EBS.

Walt

Ham op September 8th 05 07:37 PM

David G. Nagel wrote:
SNIPPED for readability

All the above is/maybe true but remember that all the formule work using
the values represented in the METRE and the KILOGRAM. Something must be
correct here....

Dave WD9BDZ

Yep! Everything simply requires adjustments to proportionality
constants, Reynolds numbers, Plankian constants, etc.