RadioBanter

-   -   25 pf Air Variable Cap Sought (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/828-25-pf-air-variable-cap-sought.html)

Space Charge November 26th 03 11:25 PM

25 pf Air Variable Cap Sought

Am trying to build the 80M loop at:

http://w1.859.telia.com/%7Eu85920178...s/frameant.htm

....and need a 25 pf air variable cap, but don't have one in the shack
parts bin with a high enough voltage breakdown rating/plate spacing.
The author recommends a plate spacing of 2mm (about .07").

Anyone have one they'd care to part with?

Short of that, a US parts source would be great...Jackson makes 'em,
but they're in the UK, and a bit pricey at that.

Thanks to the group,

Lin/KJ6EF
For email responses, remove "nospam_".

Cecil Moore November 27th 03 04:20 AM

Space Charge wrote:
...and need a 25 pf air variable cap, but don't have one in the shack
parts bin with a high enough voltage breakdown rating/plate spacing.
The author recommends a plate spacing of 2mm (about .07").

Fair Radio Sales might have something like that. 419-223-2196
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

OK1SIP November 27th 03 08:03 AM

Hi Lin,
use a relatively common air-spaced AM capacitor, also one with
deformed plates and temporary short-circuits can be used. Rip out two
plates of every three, both from stator and rotor, evenly spaced. This
way the spacing of plates triples.

BR from Ivan OK1SIP

Tarmo Tammaru November 27th 03 08:44 PM

I suggest you mark the edges of the plates that you are *not* removing with
paint, or something, to make sure you end up with symmetrical spacing. You
remove pairs of *adjacent* plates.

Tam/WB2TT

Tarmo Tammaru November 27th 03 09:14 PM

Don't assume the new capacitor value will be 1/3 of the original. You have
to take into account the thickness of the plates you removed. (I pried them
off with needle nose pliers). The new value might be more like 1/6 of the
original.

Tam/WB2TT

Joe Strain November 27th 03 11:57 PM

Hey !

Thanks for the URL...I need such an antenna for SWL

I dont need the rigid-specification capacitor you do, since I'm not
transmitting.

Accordingly I can get a 25 pf variable at Skycraft for a couple bucks but
their plate spaceing is half your specifications.

Yodar in O'do