RadioBanter

-   -   Vertical in a tree (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/844-vertical-tree.html)

Mike Coslo November 30th 03 08:50 PM

Vertical in a tree

Possible dum question alert!

I've been thinking about verticals lately, and am curious about a
vertical for 80 meters.

Specifically, I am wondering about putting a vertical in one of my trees
in the yard. I have *big* trees, 80-90 feet tall, and could put a full
1/4 wave vertical in one of the huge oak trees just outside the shack.

What is more, it is one place in the yard that I can get radials in more
than one direction.

I've looked on the web to see if anyone else has done this, and I've
seen some references to other types, but the lack of 1/4 wave verticals
for this makes me suspicious.

Anyone done this, or is there a reason why it won't work?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Cecil Moore December 1st 03 04:09 AM

Mike Coslo wrote:
Anyone done this, or is there a reason why it won't work?

The reason that you haven't seen such described is that not many
people have 90 ft. trees close to the shack. It should work pretty
well. Do you really have 90 ft. Oak trees? What species of Oak?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Roger Halstead December 1st 03 07:25 AM

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:50:55 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Possible dum question alert!

I've been thinking about verticals lately, and am curious about a
vertical for 80 meters.

Specifically, I am wondering about putting a vertical in one of my trees
in the yard. I have *big* trees, 80-90 feet tall, and could put a full
1/4 wave vertical in one of the huge oak trees just outside the shack.

Go for it.
Yes the tree will affect the antenna some, and it's effect will vary
with the seasons so you *might* have to change the tuning, or matching
between Summer and Winter. OTOH, I have 75 meter slopers that hear
(and work) Europe on a regular basis. They run through trees and the
tuning does change a bit. There is a difference in tuning between the
one through trees and the one near trees. They both work great.

What is more, it is one place in the yard that I can get radials in more
than one direction.

As was already mentioned, keep the wire well away from the tree
itself. The end of the wire will have some very high voltages,
particularly if you run the legal limit, but I'd not worry much about
starting a fire in an Oak, except in the Fall.

I've looked on the web to see if anyone else has done this, and I've
seen some references to other types, but the lack of 1/4 wave verticals
for this makes me suspicious.

I'd guess it's more a lack of 90 foot trees to support the antennas
rather than antenna performance. :-))

Anyone done this, or is there a reason why it won't work?

Been done, worked fine in the cases I've read.

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers, not spam
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

- Mike KB3EIA -

Tarmo Tammaru December 1st 03 03:25 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Possible dum question alert!

I've been thinking about verticals lately, and am curious about a
vertical for 80 meters.

Specifically, I am wondering about putting a vertical in one of my trees
in the yard. I have *big* trees, 80-90 feet tall, and could put a full

Mike,

I did that on 40 meters. Hung a vertical from the branch of a 90 foot tulip
tree. Since the antenna was short enough, I had elevated radials. My
suggestion is that once you get a rope over a branch, put up both the
vertical and an inverted V. My guess is that most of the time the inverted V
will blow away the vertical.

Tam/WB2TT

Mike Coslo December 1st 03 04:55 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

Anyone done this, or is there a reason why it won't work?

The reason that you haven't seen such described is that not many
people have 90 ft. trees close to the shack. It should work pretty
well. Do you really have 90 ft. Oak trees? What species of Oak?

I'm not sure of the species, but they are huge! They would have been
eagerly sought out in the days of wooden ships. Note I haven't actually
measured the height, but am estimating from the height of my dipole in
the tree. It's about 60 feet up, and there looks to be another 30 above
where it connects.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Cecil Moore December 1st 03 06:53 PM

Mike Coslo wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Do you really have 90 ft. Oak trees? What species of Oak?

I'm not sure of the species, but they are huge!

They sure beat the tallest Post Oaks here in East Texas
that are about half that height.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Mike Coslo December 1st 03 07:00 PM

Tarmo Tammaru wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Possible dum question alert!

I've been thinking about verticals lately, and am curious about a
vertical for 80 meters.

Specifically, I am wondering about putting a vertical in one of my trees
in the yard. I have *big* trees, 80-90 feet tall, and could put a full

Mike,

I did that on 40 meters. Hung a vertical from the branch of a 90 foot tulip
tree. Since the antenna was short enough, I had elevated radials. My
suggestion is that once you get a rope over a branch, put up both the
vertical and an inverted V. My guess is that most of the time the inverted V
will blow away the vertical.

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I guess not many people do have
big trees! I'll give it a shot here, and may even get to lay in the
radials before the ground freezes. My main reasons for doing a vertical
in the first place is to attempt some 80 meter dx now that the upper
bands are closing in.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Richard Clark December 1st 03 08:07 PM

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:00:10 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I guess not many people do have
big trees! I'll give it a shot here, and may even get to lay in the
radials before the ground freezes. My main reasons for doing a vertical
in the first place is to attempt some 80 meter dx now that the upper
bands are closing in.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hi Mike,

My Maples have leaves that put the Canadians to shame.

Anyway, what I have had done is installed pullies above, and at
roughly the 4 foot level with a continuous loop feeding through them
both. On the loop I have rings to attach anything (like another
pulley) and I can hoist projects like a flag and never worry about the
rope's bitter end flopping out from above, or being irretrievable.

My longwire was launched by bow to go over the crown of more than
several to stretch out more than 300 feet (at about 60 to 90 feet
height).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roger Halstead December 1st 03 09:19 PM

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:25:56 -0500, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...
Possible dum question alert!

I've been thinking about verticals lately, and am curious about a
vertical for 80 meters.

Specifically, I am wondering about putting a vertical in one of my trees
in the yard. I have *big* trees, 80-90 feet tall, and could put a full

Mike,

I did that on 40 meters. Hung a vertical from the branch of a 90 foot tulip
tree. Since the antenna was short enough, I had elevated radials. My
suggestion is that once you get a rope over a branch, put up both the
vertical and an inverted V. My guess is that most of the time the inverted V
will blow away the vertical.

It depends on a number of things.
The verticals I've had up were better at the longer distances and the
QRM was lower. QRN was higher at times. That's with three different
installations, one of which was a phased array.

Tam/WB2TT