Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 18th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default Accuracy of Q meters

There are inumerable uses for solenoidal wound coils.

Over the years there have been been hundreds of discussions and
contributions to newsgroups about the Q of single-layer solenoid
coils. But what is ENTIRELY missing is the measured data for
particular coil dimensions and frequency.

Does nobody have a Q meter? It would appear nobody has any confidence
in Q meters in the HF range.

QUESTION:

What is the measuring accuracy of the best commercial Q meters in the
ranges of 1 to 100, 100 to 500, 500 to 2000 and above?

Or do not manufacturers state measuring accuracy? Are they themselves
uncertain of what its all about?

A subsidiary question is what use is made of Q values after a
measurement has been made? Does an inacurate Q value matter very much
anyway?

Please give numbers in your reply. For once I confess to a minor
troll. But I hope I get a few sensible answers to sensible questions.

Nil answers will be considered to be of equal consequence to the
others.
----
Reg, G4FGQ