RadioBanter

-   -   Question regarding MFJ-1714 antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/89649-question-regarding-mfj-1714-antenna.html)

[email protected] February 28th 06 09:44 PM

Question regarding MFJ-1714 antenna

Hello folks,

I hope that someone might be able to answer a question for me: does
the MFJ-1714 have any coil in it which would serve to attenuate
frequencies below the 2m amateur band for which it's apparently
designed?

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1714

Or would this antenna serve well for frequencies below 440 MHz on a
handheld scanner?

This antenna at scannerworld.com *looks* to be the same as the
MFJ-1714, and it's marketed more broadly as a "3db GAIN VERTICAL
TELESCOPIC BNC ANTENNA FOR SCANNERS". Any idea if this is the same
antenna as the 1714? It does cost some ten bucks more than the MFJ (
$26.99, as compared with $16.95 for the MFJ).

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this matter.

Junius

[email protected] February 28th 06 09:49 PM

Question regarding MFJ-1714 antenna

Oh, seems I forgot, here's the link for that scannerworld.com antenna
that looks to be a MFJ-1714 clone:

http://www.scannerworld.com/template...wproduct=ANT44

Junius

Al Klein March 1st 06 01:38 AM

On 28 Feb 2006 13:44:39 -0800, wrote:

I hope that someone might be able to answer a question for me: does
the MFJ-1714 have any coil in it which would serve to attenuate
frequencies below the 2m amateur band for which it's apparently
designed?

The 2 meter band is 144-148, not 440. The coil is a loading coil - it
manes the antenna electrically longer, it doesn't cut off any
frequencies.

Or would this antenna serve well for frequencies below 440 MHz on a
handheld scanner?

It's a bit long (cumbersome), but it should work.