RadioBanter

-   -   Thin & Fat Yagis (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/92181-thin-fat-yagis.html)

west April 5th 06 06:35 AM

Thin & Fat Yagis

Take 2 Yagis or verticals built with aluminum tubing. Both are identical
except the tubing in one is twice the diameter of the other. Besides size,
what will the property differences be between the two? Will they load up
the same? I don't mean to be flippant, but this question has been on my
mind for a long time and I couldn't find the answer. All comments
appreciated. Thank you.

73's, west
AF4GC

Yuri Blanarovich April 5th 06 01:26 PM

Thin & Fat Yagis

"west" wrote in message
om...
Take 2 Yagis or verticals built with aluminum tubing. Both are identical
except the tubing in one is twice the diameter of the other. Besides size,
what will the property differences be between the two? Will they load up
the same? I don't mean to be flippant, but this question has been on my
mind for a long time and I couldn't find the answer. All comments
appreciated. Thank you.

73's, west
AF4GC

If the lenghth of the elements is the same and diameter is thicker, then the
antenna with thicker elements will resonate lower on frequency. You need to
shorten the elements on the fat one to bring it back to resonance. The fater
elements provide broader bandwidth too and take more punishment.

Yuri, K3BU

jawod April 8th 06 01:59 AM

Thin & Fat Yagis

west wrote:
Take 2 Yagis or verticals built with aluminum tubing. Both are identical
except the tubing in one is twice the diameter of the other. Besides size,
what will the property differences be between the two? Will they load up
the same? I don't mean to be flippant, but this question has been on my
mind for a long time and I couldn't find the answer. All comments
appreciated. Thank you.

73's, west
AF4GC

If I'm not mistaken ( a dubious assumption ), I seem to remember that
"fatter" elements produce wider bandwidths (i.e., lower SWR over greater
range of frequency).

If this is not the case, please correct me.

John
AB8WH