RadioBanter

-   -   A/B Switching (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/99312-b-switching.html)

Win July 19th 06 04:14 PM

A/B Switching

I recently put an A/B switch between my FT-1000 MPV and my IC-746 to
make comparisons between receivers. I would now like to leave this
A/B switch in line, as I would like to use one radio for CW, and the
other for SSB. The IC-746 is known for having a sensitive front end
(easy to damage). I am running 200 watts from the FT-1K. The A/B
switch grounds the unused port. My fear is that the FT-1K will damage
the front end of the IC-746, even as the IC-746 port is grounded.

I have to assume, no matter how diligent I think I will be, at some
point in time, both receivers will be on the same band, near the same
frequency.

Is it probable that the grounded loop to the 746, being 1/8 inch from
200 watts, will survive without damage?

Has anyone operated an IC-746 under these conditions?

Win, W0LZ

Tam/WB2TT July 19th 06 04:54 PM

A/B Switching

"Win" wrote in message
I recently put an A/B switch between my FT-1000 MPV and my IC-746 to
make comparisons between receivers. I would now like to leave this
A/B switch in line, as I would like to use one radio for CW, and the
other for SSB. The IC-746 is known for having a sensitive front end
(easy to damage). I am running 200 watts from the FT-1K. The A/B
switch grounds the unused port. My fear is that the FT-1K will damage
the front end of the IC-746, even as the IC-746 port is grounded.

I have to assume, no matter how diligent I think I will be, at some
point in time, both receivers will be on the same band, near the same
frequency.

Is it probable that the grounded loop to the 746, being 1/8 inch from
200 watts, will survive without damage?

Has anyone operated an IC-746 under these conditions?

Win, W0LZ

I have an IC756 and FT847 going to the same (HF) A/B switch. No problems.
You will want to do this on the input side of any amplifier.

Tam/WB2TT

Dale Parfitt July 20th 06 01:56 PM

A/B Switching

"Win" wrote in message
I recently put an A/B switch between my FT-1000 MPV and my IC-746 to
make comparisons between receivers. I would now like to leave this
A/B switch in line, as I would like to use one radio for CW, and the
other for SSB. The IC-746 is known for having a sensitive front end
(easy to damage). I am running 200 watts from the FT-1K. The A/B
switch grounds the unused port. My fear is that the FT-1K will damage
the front end of the IC-746, even as the IC-746 port is grounded.

I have to assume, no matter how diligent I think I will be, at some
point in time, both receivers will be on the same band, near the same
frequency.

Is it probable that the grounded loop to the 746, being 1/8 inch from
200 watts, will survive without damage?

Has anyone operated an IC-746 under these conditions?

Win, W0LZ

My concern would be the port- port isolation of the A/B switch. Depending on
the mfg, they're all over the map.

Dale W4OP

Win July 21st 06 12:59 AM

A/B Switching

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:35 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

"Win" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dale, the one I have is a XS201, cast iron, much like the MFJ. I
would consider buying a better switch, though, if you could recommend
one.

Win, w0lz

Dale Parfitt July 22nd 06 02:54 PM

A/B Switching

"Win" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:35 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

"Win" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Win,
I have little expereience with the different manufactures of HF switches. My
experience is in relays for 1296 MHz LNA protection- and the port-port
isolation is all over the board.
Ask the manufacturers if they have this spec.
Dale W4OP

Win July 22nd 06 04:28 PM

A/B Switching

Thanks, Dale.

I will do that. So far, I have found, as you said, the claims are all
over the board. In the data sheets I have been able to locate, I have
seen numbers from 20db to 80db down. Something in the area of 80db
would sure do the trick, if I can believe them, HI.

Win, W0LZl

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:54:34 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

.. .